Deputy Education Minister for Instruction, Romelle A. Horton has disclosed that they will launch full investigation into the scandal involving the West African Examination (WAEC).Deputy Minister Horton embarrassed by the situation for its negative implications on Liberia said, “We have launched a full scale investigation into the matter and the public must be assured that anyone or perpetrators found culpable of the crime will be required to face the law.”She added that cancellation of the exam was intended to regain confidence and to help strengthen the educational system or the country by ensuring transparency and accountability.Minister Horton said the Ministry of Education (MOE), in collaboration with WAEC, has put into place the necessary measures to ensure that the theft is not repeated.In the wake of cancellation of the exam, the West African Examination Council (WAEC) Monrovia office boss, John Gayvolor, says they need the amount of US$300,000 to reprint of the exam for the entire country.He made the disclosure while addressing the regular press briefing at the Ministry of Information, Cultural Affairs and Tourism (MICAT) in Monrovia on recently.Gayvolor said the finance will also cover the delivery of the exam materials across the country; revealing that prior to the incident, they had earlier secured 210 testing centers and hired the services of more than 1,564 porters for the smooth conduct of the exam. “We have earmarked June 27 to July 2 for the conduct of the exam; therefore, the resource is urgently needed to help fast track the exam reprint exercise.“We could not administer an exam that was stolen. Some unscrupulous individuals want to ensure that the WAEC exam loses credibility, but we are committed to ensuring that students are better prepared for future challenges,” he said. Gayvolor said that despite the exam papers being guarded by state security, including WAEC security officers, test papers on each of the nine subjects were stolen.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Twenty adults and one youth from Grande Prairie have been charged with more than 40 drug-related offences.The charges follow a month-long joint investigation between the Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams and the Grande Prairie RCMP.Police say some of the charges include trafficking, possession for the purpose of trafficking and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose. They also say that the majority of the drug charges relate to crack cocaine.- Advertisement -Police seized various drugs, including 50 grams of cocaine, 19 ecstasy tablets, 20 tablets of methylphenidate, along with $2,000 cash and four vehicles.The people who were charged range in age between 17 and 37 years-old, with the majority being in their early to mid-20’s.