23 days agoStoke boss Nathan Jones accepts he’ll likely lose his job

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Stoke boss Nathan Jones accepts he’ll likely lose his jobby Paul Vegas23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveStoke City boss Nathan Jones has accepted he will likely lose his job this week.Jones was speaking after the Potters lost 1-0 at home to fellow strugglers Huddersfield Town.He admitted: “If I’m not getting the results I expect the inevitable to happen. I’m not concerned. I was concerned after four days of taking the job, but I’m not concerned now.”The league table doesn’t lie after 10 games, we just haven’t been good enough. It’s a wonderful club and the fans and owners have given me lots of patience, but we’ve lost our way and something has to change.”I’ve had nine months to turn things around and, for one reason or another, I’ve not done it. It’s been tough on me and my family, but I just feel sad. It’s a great club but it just hasn’t worked out.”I couldn’t have given it any more, I’ve given it everything I can.” last_img read more

Gov’t Negotiates $100 Million Loan Package for Banana Farmers

first_imgTo assist with the resuscitation of the banana industry, the Government, through the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, has negotiated a $100 million loan package from the People’s Cooperative (PC) Banks, which will be available to farmers at an interest rate of five per cent. Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Portia Simpson Miller, during a statement in the House of Representatives on Tuesday (Nov. 6), said the PC Banks have also agreed to reduce the one-off fees on loans from three per cent to 1.5 per cent to assist the industry at this time. She said the Government recognises that some of the smaller banana farmers may not be able to access these loan funds and so the Ministry has negotiated with the European Union to allocate $13 million from the European Union Banana Support Programme (EUBSP) to assist small farmers with fertilizer and insecticide. Some 3,888 bags of fertilizer and 39 kilograms of insecticide will be distributed in the worst affected areas this week. She informed that banana farmers, who suffered losses above 50 per cent of production and who are subscribers to the Catastrophe Fund, will receive their pay-out shortly.last_img read more

Alka Lamba meets Sonia Gandhi fuels speculation of joining Congress

first_imgNew Delhi: Disgruntled Aam Aadmi Party MLA Alka Lamba met Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday, fuelling speculations of her joining the grand old party ahead of the Delhi Assembly elections scheduled to be held early next year. Lamba, however, said that she met Gandhi to discuss a number of issues, including the current political situation of the country. She started her political career with the Congress, and had served the party in various capacities for around 20 years before joining the AAP. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderThe AAP MLA from Chandni Chowk had last month announced that she has made up her mind about leaving the party and contest the upcoming Assembly election as an Independent. Lamba has been at odds with the Aam Aadmi Party for some time now. After the party’s defeat in Lok Sabha polls, she had sought accountability from its national convener Arvind Kejriwal. She was then removed from the official WhatsApp group of the party lawmakers. She had also refused to campaign for party in the Lok Sabha polls and refrained from participating in Kejriwal’s roadshow after she was asked to walk behind his car during the event. Lamba first hit a rough patch with the AAP over its decision to pass a resolution to revoke Rajiv Gandhi’s Bharat Ratna. She raised objections to the party’s resolution.last_img read more

Geoscience BC Open House in Dawson Creek

first_imgGeoscience BC shares they have launched a new project to assess the potential amplification of ground movement associated with earthquakes generated by hydraulic fracturing and fluid injection in an area around Fort St. John and Dawson Creek.According to Geoscience BC, the project addresses public concerns relating to seismicity and oil and gas industry activity in northeastern BC, especially in areas close to communities and infrastructure. The project will examine how seismic waves from earthquakes can potentially be amplified in specific shallow geological conditions. Lead researcher Dr. Patrick Monahan said, “Most recent studies in this area have focussed on the reduction of ground motion as you get further from the seismic event. But seismic ground motions can also be amplified significantly on sites underlain by certain sediments, compared to sites on bedrock or firm ground.” Geoscience BC Executive Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer Carlos Salas said, “The new science generated by this project will help us better understand which areas have the potential of increased ground motion during induced seismicity events associated with natural gas extraction. The information can be used by industry, regulators, communities in the Peace River Regional District and Indigenous groups to improve industry procedures to manage felt events.” DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – An open house is being held in Dawson Creek by Geoscience BC regarding a new project to assess the potential amplification of ground movement around Fort St. John and Dawson Creek.Join Geoscience BC staff and lead researcher Dr. Patrick Monahan to learn more about the project at the open house on the evening of Wednesday, May 29, 2019, from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm at the Kiwanis Performing Arts Centre – Meeting Room 1, 10401 10 Street, Dawson Creek.The event is free and open to anyone to attend. , light snacks and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided, register for the event; CLICK HERElast_img read more

Manchester City in Champions quarters crush Schalke 70

first_imgManchester: Manchester City has humiliated Schalke 7-0 to win the Champions League knockout stage tie 10-2 on aggregate and claim a berth in the quarter-finals. Sergio “Kun” Agüero had a brace for the hosts at Manchester’s Etihad Stadium late on Tuesday. Already leading 3-2 after the first leg in Gelsenkirchen, City dominated from the start of the contest and virtually all of the action was in front of visiting goalkeeper Ralf Fährmann. Schalke coach Dominico Tedesco fielded an attack-oriented side, but they struggled to find any gaps in the City defence and left themselves vulnerable. Also Read – Dhoni, Paes spotted playing football togetherCity threatened in the 13th minute, when Kyle Walker’s deep pass found Raheem Sterling, who advanced toward the goal and left the ball for Agüero, whose strike hit the post. Twenty minutes later, City’s Bernardo Silva went down in the area after being brushed by defender Jeffrey Bruma and referee Clement Turpin pointed to the spot. Though the penalty looked soft, Turpin felt no need to consult VAR and Agüero coolly converted in the 35th minute to give City a two-goal overall lead. Also Read – Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian OpenThe Argentine international needed just three minutes to get his second of the night, taking a pass from Sterling and slipping the ball under Fährmann. With Schalke forced to press forward, City’s Oleksandr Zinchenko got the ball to a wide-open Leroy Sane and the German scored against his former club to make it 3-0 on the night and a daunting 6-2 overall in the 42nd minute. City, despite the more-than-comfortable lead, did not let up in the second half and scored twice in the opening 10 minutes after the re-start. The first, by Sane, was disallowed for an offside. Sterling’s goal in the 56th minute looked set to suffer the same fate until VAR confirmed that all of the attacking players were onside. Even as City slowed the pace, the nightmare continued for Schalke. Bernardo Silva scored from inside the box in the 71st minute, seven minutes before Phil Foden made it 6-0 (9-2) with a great assist from Sane. Gabriel Jesus delivered the final blow with six minutes left. City, the Premier League holders, are headed to the Champions League quarterfinals for the second consecutive year.last_img read more

Alert guard helps police nab four men stealing shuttering plates from a

first_imgNew Delhi: An alert guard helped the police nab four people who were allegedly stealing shuttering plates from a farm house in south Delhi’s Fatehpur Beri, police said Wednesday. At around 8 PM on Tuesday, Sanjay Yadav (35) employed as the security guard at Jindal farm in Jonapur heard noises coming from another farm house situated on the opposite side. He found four men loading shuttering plates in a tempo but on seeing him, the men tried to escape from the spot. “But the beat officers who were patrolling the area on a motorcycle apprehended the three men with the help of security guard,” said Vijay Kumar, Deputy Commissioner of Police (south). The fourth person was also apprehended after he was found hiding near the tempo. Shuttering plates are made using best quality metals and is basically used for supporting items for building construction slab, canopy, beam among others. The accused have been identified as Arjun (21), Deepak (18), Satish (19) and Narayan (23), all residents of ‘jhuggies’ in Jonapur, police said. A case was registered, the officer said. Large iron shuttering plate, a tempo, water pumping motor, ceiling and exhaust fan and air condition covers were also recovered from their possession.last_img read more

Buckeyes make their case for a College Football Playoff spot with shutout

Redshirt-sophomore quarterback Cardale Jones holds the Big Ten Championship trophy after OSU’s 59-0 win over Wisconsin in the conference title game on Dec. 6 in Indianapolis.Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editorINDIANAPOLIS — He waited to say it, but Jeff Heuerman made it clear whether or not he feels Ohio State should make the first-ever College Football Playoff.“I’ve kept my mouth shut about that for a very long time, but I’m done with that,” the senior tight end said after the Buckeyes locked up their 35th Big Ten Championship. “We’re definitely one of the top four teams in the country.”OSU — ranked No. 5 in the College Football Playoff standings — shutout No. 13 Wisconsin, 59-0, in the Big Ten title game Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium, but all four teams ranked ahead of the Buckeyes won over the weekend as well.But the Buckeyes’ win came under unusual circumstances, as the player starting the game at quarterback was third on the depth chart two weeks before the season started. Saturday’s win also came less than a week after the team learned of the death of walk-on defensive lineman Kosta Karageorge.Redshirt-sophomore quarterback Cardale Jones — starting in place of the injured redshirt-freshman J.T. Barrett — said the win was a “huge statement” for the playoff selection committee.“I mean, we played a great, great team, the No. 2 defense in the country,” Jones said after the game. “We put up 59 points on them.”OSU also found a way to stymie Wisconsin redshirt-junior running back Melvin Gordon — the nation’s top rusher this season. The Buckeyes held Gordon to just 76 yards on the ground, and held him without a touchdown for the first time since Wisconsin’s win over Western Illinois in its second game of the season.With dominating numbers on both sides of the ball, Heuerman said he simply doesn’t see a logical scenario that would keep OSU out of the playoffs.“Come in here and play the 13th-ranked team in the country, No. 1 in the Big Ten in defense, come in here and put up those kind of numbers,” Heuerman said. “Defensively you look at what we did tonight with a Heisman Trophy candidate (Gordon) who’s held to 76 yards and didn’t put up one single point, I don’t know how you don’t put us in the top four, honestly.”OSU coach Urban Meyer — who won two national titles under the BCS-bowl format while he was the coach at Florida — said the selection committee has a difficult task, but added he feels like the Buckeyes are playing as well as the other top teams in the country.“All I can speak to is I’ve been around teams that have competed and won national championships,” Meyer said after the game. “This team, the way it’s playing right now, is one of the top teams in America.”Coming into the game, OSU was ranked behind No. 1 Alabama, No. 2 Oregon, No. 3 Texas Christian University and No. 4 Florida State. With all four of those teams winning along with the Buckeyes, OSU would have to jump one of them in order to make the playoffs.Confronted with the idea of missing out on a chance to compete for a national championship, Heuerman stressed that he feels the Buckeyes deserve to be in the top four.“I don’t even want to think about not being in the top four,” He said. “Like I said, I think we’re a top-four team in the country, I don’t think there’s any doubt about that and the College Football (Playoff) committee, they watched that game, I don’t know how any of them say we’re not.”Heuerman added the Buckeyes’ big win came against a top-notch opponent.“We didn’t come in and play a slouch of a football team today, they were a good football team,” he said. “And the way we came in and executed, it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen, honestly. And like I said, I don’t think there’s any way you don’t put us in the top four.”The Buckeyes are scheduled to learn their postseason fate on Sunday. The College Football Playoff selection show is set to begin at 12:30 p.m.The College Football Playoff rankings were decided by a panel of 12 members, including Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez, Lt. Gen. Mike Gould and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. In total, the panel is set to consist of 13 members, but former Mississippi and NFL quarterback Archie Manning is taking a leave of absence because of health concerns.The top four teams at season’s end are scheduled to compete in the College Football Playoff. read more

Pogba explains World Cup look

first_imgManchester United midfielder has explained his understated look for France at the World Cup, according to Mirror Football.The Frenchman caught the eye with his performances on the pitch rather with his flashy hairstyles during France’s successful World Cup campaign.Pogba was a key man for Les Bleus as they won the World Cup for only the second time in their history, putting in a top performance against Belgium in the semis and scoring their third goal in their 4-2 final win over Croatia.The United star performances in the latter stages of the tournament silenced his critics who criticize him for his flashy hairdos rather performances on the pitch.But the former Juventus star made sure that wouldn’t be the case in Russia.harry maguire, manchester UnitedMaguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…Pogba took part in a Q&A session with fans on Instagram over the weekend, and one fan asked:“Why didn’t you paint your hair during the World Cup?”The 25-year-old replied: “Because I wanted the focus to be only on performance and not on my looks. So there was no excuse and they look only criticize the football part.”It remains to be seen if the World Cup winner will adopt a similar approach with United for the upcoming season.last_img read more

Everton rules out big transfer plans for January

first_imgFor Marcel Brands, Everton’s director of football, the team is focused on the transfer market window of the summer, not on the one from this month.Everton director of football Marcel Brands has ruled out a “big” transfer window for the team in January.According to the executive, the team is focusing on the summer transfer window instead.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“We don’t have big plans. It’s a very difficult period to bring players in,” he said to Sky Sports.“We don’t want to let our best players go, also other clubs don’t. I’m more focused on the summer window than the January window.”“If we sell or loan players, then maybe we have to do something, and if we do something, it has to be good,” he concluded.last_img read more

Alaska Airlines Decreases Size Of CarryOn Bags

first_imgAlaska said there will be some exceptions to the rule of the carry-on size allowance, but those items will need to be stowed in the aircraft cabin. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Alaska Airlines passengers will need to downsize their carry-on luggage, effective on June 4, after the airline announced it is decreasing the maximum dimensions allowed for carry-on baggage. Alaska also noted that stricter carry-on dimensions will allow more passengers to store their luggage in the overhead compartments (as opposed to a gate-side check). Alaska explained that its current size allotment is “larger than most other international and domestic airlines allow” and that the change was made to “make sure that your carry-on bag will be accepted aboard all the flights within your itinerary.” Passengers’ carry-on items must measure 22 x 14 x 9 inches (including wheels and handles). The change is a significant decrease from current measurements of 24 x 17 x 10 inches.last_img read more