Of the around 2,000 pilgrims on the Char Dham yatra in Uttarakhand, who were stranded after a landslip in Chamoli district, 800 have resumed their onward journey and work is on to clear the debris, officials said on Saturday.The Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway was closed near Vishnuprayag, one of the five important points of the Alaknanda river, between Joshimath and the hill shrine of Badrinath.Huge boulders had rolled down the Hathi Pahar mountain on Friday afternoon, blocking the highway.CM’s directiveChief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has directed the Secretary of the Disaster Management Department, Amit Negi, to monitor the situation.‘Arrangements in place’“There were no unfortunate incidents, 1,800 tourists were affected and arrangements were made for them. The Border Roads Organisation and other authorities are working on clearing the debris and the route will be opened today; all the suitable arrangements are in place,” Mr. Rawat tweeted.He said, “Information of landslides was shared with various towns along the route.”Chamoli District Magistrate Ashish Joshi dismissed reports that around 15,000 people were stranded. “Only 2,000 people have been affected,” he said.
Tension simmered in Meerut and Muzaffarnagar towns of western Uttar Pradesh after two incidents of atrocities on Dalits in the last two days. Eight people, including a pregnant Dalit woman, were injured when Gujjars attacked Dalits in Mawana area of Meerut on Wednesday.Gujjars fired over 22 rounds and beat up Dalits in a clash at Meeva village over a dispute on right of way. The attack on the Dalit family in Meerut came even while caste tensions were simmering in the nearby town of Muzaffarnagar. Dalit youth Vipin Kumar was badly beaten up by Hindutva activists who alleged that he had insulted Hindu gods. They forced Mr. Kumar to say “Jai Shri Ram” and hail other Hindu gods
Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard, let, congratulates center Enes Kanter who reacts after hanging from the rim after putting the ball in for a basket against the Denver Nuggets in the first half of Game 1 of an NBA basketball second-round playoff series Monday, April 29, 2019, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)The NBA reacted in support of Portland’s Enes Kanter on Thursday, not long after the league’s Turkish-centric Twitter account failed to mention Kanter’s efforts in the Trail Blazers’ victory over Denver in Game 2 of the teams’ Western Conference semifinal series.The league also fired the Turkish company in charge of operating that account.ADVERTISEMENT Joel Embiid, 76ers pull ahead 2-1 after rout of Raptors Kanter has previously said that he will seek a U.S. passport; his Turkish one was canceled in 2017. Citing security concerns and a fear of being arrested, Kanter chose to miss two games outside of the U.S. so far in 2019 — when he was with the New York Knicks he did not accompany them for a game in London in January, and he didn’t travel with Portland for a game in Toronto on March 1.His reluctance to leave the U.S. coincides with Turkish officials seeking a “red notice” through Interpol and pursuing Kanter’s arrest since January, alleging that he backed exiled Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen and provided financial support to his group. Gulen has been blamed for a failed coup on the Erdogan government in 2016; Kanter has dismissed that as a “fake coup” staged by Erdogan.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue View comments Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting LATEST STORIES Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated Kanter — who has been estranged from Turkey, his homeland, for at least two years and is a longtime critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan — had 15 points and nine rebounds in Portland’s 97-90 victory Wednesday night. After the game, the NBA tweeted out a list of stat leaders and included Kanter; the Turkish account, @NBATurkiye, made no mention of Kanter.It’s the latest twist in a long saga, one where the Turkish government has sought Kanter’s arrest and he has claimed, among other things, that the government censors him and forbids the airing of Portland games in the country. The NBA said Turkish fans can still see all games through its various platforms.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“Fans in Turkey can watch all playoff games featuring Enes Kanter and the Portland Trail Blazers on NBA League Pass and NBA TV International,” NBA Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer Mark Tatum said. “The NBA Turkey Twitter account was managed by a local vendor and we are terminating that relationship.”The National Basketball Players Association also put out a statement in support of Kanter on Thursday, saying it “fully supports our players using their platforms to stand up for their beliefs and the principles they support. We stand with Enes and, as with all of our players, will work to ensure that he is treated fairly and with respect.” SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid MOST READ DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles
Minister of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining, Hon. Phillip Paulwell, is to report on an energy solution to facilitate the re-opening of the Alpart and Kirkvine bauxite plants, when he speaks in the 2013/14 Sectoral Debate.The Government has been engaged in months of intense negotiations with Russian-based aluminium company, UC Rusal, for the resumption of operations at the facilities, which closed in 2009.Addressing a sitting of the Standing Finance Committee last week, Minister Paulwell said that the high cost of energy is a major issue affecting the re-opening of the plants.While UC Rusal is investing US $100 million in a coal-fired electricity generating system for Ewarton, the Minister said “they are maintaining that gas is the energy solution for both ALPART and Kirkvine and I am to report on that fully in the Sectoral Debate”.The Minister informed that the plants are being maintained, and are ready for operation. “In fact, I did a tour recently, just to satisfy my mind that the possibility exists for them to be re-opened within a short timeframe,” he stated.A downturn in the global aluminium market forced UC Rusal to cease its operations at Kirkvine, Ewarton and Alpart in 2009. The Ewarton refinery, located in St. Catherine, was re-opened in July 2010 and the Government, in 2012, as able to secure a deal with UC Rusal, to maintain operations at the refinery and save the 600 local jobs at the facility.As part of the agreement, Ewarton, as of 2015, will become a base producer of alumina for UC Rusal’s aluminium smelters overseas, with the Kirkvine and Alpart refineries, located in Manchester and St. Elizabeth, respectively, to be so designated, once they resume production.This means that Jamaica will no longer be regarded as a “swing location” and so vulnerable for closure during times of recession.UC Rusal entered Jamaica’s bauxite and alumina sector in 2007. The company has 93 per cent stake in WINDALCO, which owns and operates Ewarton Works and the Kirkvine Alumina Refinery, and has 100 per cent ownership of the Alpart refinery.By Latonya Linon, JIS Reporter
OnePlus 7 Pro prebooking offerAmazon.inOnePlus 7 is set to launch on the 14th of this month, but mere days before that we have a leak which confirms that price of the 6GB/128GB model of the OnePlus 7 Pro to be Rs. 49,999, whereas the 8GB/256GB version will cost Rs. 52,999. The top-end variant, with 12GB RAM and 256GB storage, will be priced at Rs. 57,999.This information has come from Ishan Agarwal who’s been reliable with leaks in the past. How do these prices compare with phones already in the market? For starters, a recent Geekbench benchmark shows a OnePlus GM1917 featuring 12GB RAM and a Snapdragon 855 processor which scored 3551 on the single-core test and 11012 on the multi-core test. If the benchmark is to be believed, it can be assessed that the phone has a slightly better camera and memory bandwidth than the iPhone XR, which comes at an MRP of Rs. 91,900. However, it lags in single-core performance, with the latter taking a lead of over 1200 points.According to the benchmark, the OnePlus phone manages to leave the Rs. 80,000 Google Pixel 3 XL behind by a large margin. As we already know, OnePlus chose to forego IP rating certifications in favour of a lower price tag, something which will prove beneficial for the company as well as its customers. Furthermore, a DisplayMate rating of A+, the same as the Samsung S10, only boosts the marketability of the device. Here’s a detailed spec sheet for the two models:With a price tag that low and performance at par with luxury brands’ flagship phones, OnePlus might just pull it off this time as well.
Detectives arrested a suspected rapist-cum-killer in connection with the recovery of a four-year-old girl’s corpse from Badda on Sunday night, reports UNB.The arrestee was identified as Shipon, 35.Police recovered the body of Tanha, 4, daughter of Mehedi, from inside a toilet of a tin-shed house adjacent to Abul Hotel in Adarshanagar area on Sunday evening.Officer-in-charge of Badda police station MA Jalil said that the body bore strangulation mark on its neck and injury marks on both legs.Police sent the body to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital for autopsy, he added.Tanha. File photoThey are primarily suspecting that the girl was raped and later strangled to death, he also said.Meanwhile, briefing reporters at DMP media centre on Monday, joint commissioner (DB) Abdul Baten said the perpetrator reportedly raped the minor girl after alluring her with food.The detectives started shadow investigation alongside local police station soon after the incident came to light on Sunday evening. Acting on a tip-off, a Detective Branch special team arrested Shipon from Badda area on Sunday night, he said.Tanha had been residing at a rented house of Adarshanagar with her parents. Arrested Shipon was one of their neighbours, living in a rented room with his wife.Tanha’s mother. Photo: Abdus SalamShipon had been working as a day labourer, since recently being released from jail after five years. When Tanha was returning home on Thursday crossing Shipon’s room, he pulled Tanha inside his room alluring her with food, and then he allegedly raped her, the joint commissioner of DB said.As Tanha cried out for help, Shipon strangled her, and after the girl died, fled the scene throwing the body of Tanha into a toilet of the house, he said.Mehedi, the father of the ill-fated girl filed a case with Badda police station accusing the arrested Shipon, said Abdul Jalil, the OC of the police station.