US orders 15 Cuban diplomats to leave Canada stays the course on

first_imgWASHINGTON – Canada and the United States have responded in drastically different ways to bizarre attacks on diplomatic personnel in Havana, with the Americans pursuing a hardline approach that escalated Tuesday.The U.S. expelled 15 of Cuba’s diplomats from Washington, just days after removing more than half its personnel from Havana to protest the failure to protect Americans from unexplained sonic attacks that have caused dizziness, hearing loss and cognitive damage.Although several Canadian personnel were also affected this year, the federal government says the attacks have apparently stopped; there have been no incidents since the spring; the Cuban government has been co-operative in investigating the incidents; and there is no change in policy.A prominent anti-Castro hardliner says he doesn’t blame Canada for taking a different tack. While Sen. Marco Rubio urged the U.S. to respond forcefully, he said circumstances will differ from country to country.”Every nation will have to make their own determination, obviously,” Rubio told The Canadian Press.”But for us it was indisputable that we could not expose our diplomats and people serving abroad to physical attacks. If the host nation can not guarantee their safety, they can’t be there.”The U.S. announced Tuesday that it had given the Cuban government a list of 15 names of people who had to leave Washington within one week, the latest move in the fallout of the strange attacks and one which was criticized by the Cuban government..The move reverses several years of historic momentum toward closer relations between the old enemies, as the Cold War foes only recently re-established diplomatic relations and reopened embassies that had been shuttered for decades.But the U.S. was adamant Tuesday: diplomatic relations with Cuba will continue. It also stressed that the latest announcements do not mean it believes the Cuban government is behind the unexplained attacks.”This move does not signal a change of policy or determination of responsibility,” a U.S. State Department official said Tuesday.”We are maintaining diplomatic relations with Havana. The decision on expulsions was taken due to Cuba’s inability to protect our diplomats in Havana, as well as to ensure equity in the impact on our respective operations. …”We will need full assurances from the Cuban government that these attacks will not continue before we can even contemplate returning personnel.”The U.S. also disclosed that the attacks had produced a 22nd victim, one more than previously reported. That person was the victim of an attack in January. The incidents stopped for a time, but reportedly recurred as recently as late August.The Canadian government said there have been no known Canadian victims since the spring. Canada, which has historically had far warmer relations than the U.S. with Castro-led Cuba, announced last week that it is not following Washington’s lead in withdrawing diplomats.”We do not have any reason to believe Canadian tourists and other visitors could be affected,” said a statement last week from Ottawa.”Canada currently has no plans to change its travel advice and advisory for Cuba or remove its staff from Cuba.”The Associated Press reported that Cuban official called the American response “irresponsible,” and “hasty.”President Raul Castro’s government has denied involvement in the attacks.Before full diplomatic relations were restored in 2015, Cuba had about two-dozen accredited staffers at what was then called the Cuban interests section, according to a State Department list. The AP reports that the number at times climbed as high as more than 50, and the latest edition of the U.S. “Diplomatic List” identifies 26 accredited Cubans at the embassy, almost all accompanied by spouses.The removal of 15 will reduce the Cuban staffing to roughly a dozen accredited diplomats.In Havana, the U.S. had roughly 54 diplomats in its embassy until deciding Friday to pull more than half of them out and leave behind only “essential personnel.” The departing Americans are expected to have all left Cuba by week’s end, officials said.The Cuban diplomats being expelled will not be deemed “persona non grata,” officials said, a designation that would prevent them from ever returning to U.S. soil.To medical investigators’ dismay, symptoms have varied widely. In addition to hearing loss and concussions, some people have experienced nausea, headaches and ear-ringing. The AP has reported that some now suffer from problems with concentration and common word recall.___With files from The Associated Presslast_img read more

Kevin Loring named National Arts Centres first director of Indigenous Theatre

first_imgAnnette Francis APTN National NewsAward winning actor Kevin Loring was introduced as the first director of Indigenous Theatre Thursday in Ottawa.Loring is from the Lytton First Nation in British Columbia and is considered a brilliant actor, playright, and teacher.He said he’s nervous about taking over as director of Indigenous Threatre.But he added that he completely understands what his mandate is.“I’ll be travelling the country and we’ll have a real storng belief that we’re gonna do some plays here but we”ll also do stories coast to coast to coast,” Loring said. “We’ll go out to the communities, its a big part of what I believe my mandate will be.”The NAC is a federally funded arts and cultural centre tasked with representing the Canadian landscape.Last year it announced that it was starting an Indigenous threatre to go with its English and French theatre programs.afrancis@aptn.calast_img read more

Education Minister says TCI Govt schools will be ready

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, August 30, 2017 – Grand Turk – Just days now left to get public schools ready for the start of the new academic year and during House of Assembly meeting last week, Education Minister Karen Malcolm not only congratulated student for their results for the CXC and CVQ but she update on whether or not government schools will be ready for the thousands of youngsters when they return.In Grand Turk there is reportedly good progress on the readiness of buildings, but in Provo, work will continue into this weekend and some equipment needed was due in this week.“We visited the schools here on Grand Turk and we can confirm that works are going well, and I’m sure that by the next weekend works will be completed.  We visited a few schools in Providenciales, the ones that we didn’t visit we spoke with the contractors and they confirmed that they are working and they are hoping to have all the AC’s etc. that they need on island this week.”There was also a report on the first set of students to transition from Long Bay High to Clement Howell High, as their classrooms are not yet ready for occupation.“The third formers will be going to Clement Howell this year, as the block is not completed and they will be there for the full year.  So starting next September the third formers will be at the LongBay High School.”School begins on Monday September 4 for most institutions in the TCI.  Related Items:last_img read more

Inter shows violence against women the red card

first_imgThe Italian Lega Serie A club, together with legendary goalkeeper Francesco Told, is working towards the prevention of violenceWith the presence of legendary goalkeeper Francesco Told, Inter Women’s captain Regina Baresi and WeWorld Onlus, Internazionale Milan is launching a campaign to “Show Violence The Red Card.”The initiative is being promoted together with the Italian Lega Serie A, to combat violence against women in the world.“Violence is a cultural problem. In order to solve this problem, our sons need to be taught the right values and that they need to show respect,” the retired Inter keeper told the club’s official website.Romelu Lukaku, Serie A, Inter MilanCapello calls Lukaku “a modern striker” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The former Italian manager believes Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited for Antonio Conte’s Internazionale Milan in the Serie A.“Youth academies can contribute to shaping athletes and men, but what they learn from their families should underpin everything.”“Violence against women is something I feel strongly about,” Regina Baresi, captain of Inter Women’s first team added.“I’m happy to be here again this year and in particular to be able to make my own contribution in highlighting such an important campaign.”last_img read more

Allu Sirishs ABCD American Born Confused Desi to release a week after

first_imgABCD: American Born Confused DesiTwitterYoung actor Allu Sirish has announced the release date of his upcoming Telugu movie ABCD: American Born Confused Desi, which will hit screens a week after superstar Mahesh Babu’s Maharshi.Allu Sirish is one of the young actors from the noted mega family in the Telugu film industry. Unlike other star kids, he has made it big with low budget films. He is all set to return with his next movie ABCD: American-Born Confused Desi, which is a remake of 2013 Malayalam comedy film of the same name starring Dulquer Salmaan.ABCD: American-Born Confused Desi is about two spoilt brats from New York, who are tricked into going to Kerala. How they rebuild their lives from scratch, when they get into trouble there forms the crux of its story. Its promos have struck a chord with the audience and generated a lot of curiosity about the film.Allu Sirish took to his Twitter account today to announce the release date of his upcoming movie. The elated actor tweeted, “Please mark the date on your calendar. ABCD – American Born Confused Desi arrives on the 17th May 2019. Trailer will be out soon. See you soon at cinemas!”ABCD: American-Born Confused Desi was initially slated for release in the cinema halls in March, but it was said to have been postponed to avoid its clash with Lakshmi’s NTR and few other movies. Now the movie will have to compete with Mahesh Babu’s Maharshi, which is slated for worldwide release on May 9.The Malayalam version of ABCD: American-Born Confused Desi was made on a budget of Rs 4.5 crore and it has collected about Rs 12.5 crore at the box office. Now, its Telugu version is also made on a small budget, but it should be seen whether the movie would get a much-needed big break to Allu Sirish.last_img read more

Literacy rate in state higher than natl average

first_imgKolkata: The state government will soon fill up the vacancies in the Mass Education Extension and Library Services department, Siddiqullah Chowdhury, Minister of State of the department said on Saturday.Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee tweeted: “Today is International Literacy Day. The issue of literacy is a key component of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Our Govt is committed to spreading the light of education among all.” He was addressing a gathering to celebrate the International Literacy Day at Rabindra Sadan on Saturday afternoon. He said as per the 2011 Census, the literacy rate in Bengal is 76 percent but has gone up by at least another 9-10 percent. According to 2011 Census, literacy rate in Bihar is 55 percent, Odisha is 69 percent, Assam is 62 percent and Jharkhand 60 percent. He said steps have already been taken to expedite the literacy drive in all the districts. In Bengal, West Midnapore has the highest literacy rate that is 92 percent while in Uttar Dinajpur and Purulia, the rates are 69 percent and 64 percent respectively. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeSaugata Roy, the party’s MP, alleged that the Centre was not providing funds to carry out literacy drives whereas the national rate of literacy is 73 percent compared to Bengal’s 76 percent.Shashi Panja, state minister for Women and Child Development and Social Welfare, added that mere literacy is not enough and the neo-literates should be included in the skill development schemes of the state government.Bratya Basu, state IT minister, assured that the department was ready to provide every cooperation to the Mass Education and Library Services department. The way Bengal has become the No. 1 state in the country in 100 days’ work, it is not very far off from becoming the No. 1 state in literacy in India, he hoped.State Power minister Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay said in the past seven years, Bengal has made immense development in education. Literacy drives have been conducted in every Block.last_img read more

Jazz up your winter wardrobe

first_imgWinter leaves fashionistas with restricted options of experimenting with colours, designs and cuts but one can try out some smart ways like layering and opting for classic pieces to make winter wear stylish.As the Seventies make a comeback at the International Fashion front this season (Chloe, Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang), the leather dress with its sculptural shape and a rock-chic look, has become a must have in our Fall/Winter 2016-2017 wardrobe. Also Read – Add new books to your shelf Layering of garments is the most creative and yet the safest way to look classy and stylish during winters. All you need is a strong sense of personal style and a tad bit of creative genes within you, and you can have a lot of fun mixing and matching pieces from your wardrobe, even those which have been rendered so very last season! While planning the winter wardrobe one cannot ignore the trends of the season and what’s trending this season are the patches, badges and embroideries. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsive For those who are not so experimental and more adhering to the classic looks, we recommend few classic pieces to them, to form looks which are tried and tested as well as instantly chic. Styles such as a knee length wool coat – one of the most classic winter fashions, a knit cardigan – ideal for layering under heavy wool coats in the winter. When it comes to winter fashion, neck accessories play a very essential role. They can add that extra zing to the ordinary winter ensembles for the day. With sportswear trending in the business of fashion, bomber jackets are no more associated with so much of masculinity and mundane look. In fact it has transcended in daring and feminine range of colours and designs for those who care to explore beyond the classic black look. When all is settled, we can come down to basics – the bottom wear. Choose from the stylish lycrated leggings with zipper details, enzyme washed and beautifully crafted denims and formal trousers. When worn over leg warmers you can still enjoy our embellished and embroidered denim shorts and keep those biker boots handy to complete the look.last_img read more