Zimbabwe rugby team sleeps on street in Tunisia before World Cup qualifier

first_imgZimbabwe’s rugby players were forced to sleep on the street in Tunisia just a few days before their World Cup qualifier this weekend after facing issues with their accommodation.Zimbabwe are in Tunisia for a Gold Cup match against the North African nation in Monastir on Saturday. This match serves as a qualifier for next year’s rugby World Cup in Japan.However, social media went abuzz with images of the players sleeping on the street outside their allocated hotel.It was known that the players did not check in the hotel because they found it substandard. On the other hand, Zimbabwe players have also not been paid their meal allowance for a World Cup qualifier trip and it is their South African coach Peter de Villiers who is funding their food and drink.Zimbabwe national rugby team forced to sleep on the streets of Tunisia… @WorldRugby pic.twitter.com/MGcug87P0lBrian Mujati (@MujatiBrewing) July 3, 2018Rugby Africa and the Tunisia Rugby Union (TRU) apologised to Zimbabwe and their players because of the trouble they had to face.”We would like to reassure the Zimbabwean Ministry of Sports, Zimbabwe Rugby Union, and all partners and fans that the situation was addressed immediately, and an acceptable solution has been found this morning,” Rugby Africa said in a statement on Tuesday.”Tunisia Rugby Union took the Sables (Zimbabwe) management to visit another hotel which was accepted,” Rugby Africa said in a statement on Tuesday.”Rugby Africa and Tunisia Rugby Union would like to express their sincere apologies to the Sables team and management for this unfortunate situation,” it added.advertisementKhaled Babbou, an executive member of both TRU and Rugby Africa, said there was no intention to disrupt Zimbabwe’s preparations for the match.”I can assure you that there was absolutely no intention to destabilise our opponents and we will make every possible effort to ensure they have a good preparation ahead of Saturday’s match,” Babbou was quoted as saying by South Africa’s News24.Zimbabwe loose-forward Takudzwa Mandiwanza said the issues started ahead of the team’s previous match, a 45-36 loss to Kenya in Nairobi last weekend.”We have not been paid our daily allowances for our duration in Kenya, including our match fees that we did not receive. Now we’re in Tunisia, we were detained at the airport for close to six hours, with no allowances given to us,” he told Zimbabwean radio station Capitalk FM, adding De Villiers had paid for the players to eat.”We’d be hungry right now. The situation is very frustrating and disheartening,” he added.There was no immediate comment from the Zimbabwe rugby authorities.Namibia currently head the Gold Cup standings with a full haul of 15 points from three matches, including an 118-0 victory over Tunisia. Zimbabwe have a draw and a defeat from their two matches.Only the top team advances automatically to the World Cup, with the second-placed side entering a play-off.(With Reuters inputs)last_img read more

Toronto Police charge 5 youth in connection with St Michaels sex assault

first_imgTORONTO – Toronto police have laid more charges in an investigation into allegations of sex assault at an all-boys’ private school in Toronto.They say five youth have now been charged in connection with an alleged sexual assault. They are facing sex assault and assault charges for an incident at the school that was caught on video. Four of them are already accused in a separate incident at St. Michael’s College School.READ MORE: How the St. Michael’s College School sex assault scandal unfoldedPolice say they have investigated eight separate incidents at the school so far, and they don’t expect further charges. However, a seventh teen has been arrested in connection with incidents at the school. The boy, 15, reportedly turned himself into police. According to police all of the incidents allegedly took place in the fall of this year.READ MORE: 7th St. Michael’s student arrested: reportsIn mid-November, St. Michael’s College School’s administration said it received a video of an assault that took place in a boy’s washroom at the school. CityNews has viewed the video and it shows an underwear-clad teen being slapped and splashed with water by several boys. Another video of a separate incident shows a group sexual assault in a school locker room that involved a broomstick.Two top school officials resigned in wake of the scandal. The school’s principal Greg Reeves and board president Jefferson Thompson both resigned. St. Michael’s has since established a “respect and culture” review panel that’s set to report its findings by the summer. READ MORE: St. Mike’s principal, board president resign amid student sex assault scandalREAD MORE: Exploring the power dynamics in locker roomslast_img read more