Oz cricketers give thumbs up to security in India

first_imgAt a time when international athletes are worried about their security in India during the Commonwealth Games, the visiting Australian cricket team on Thursday gave thumbs up to the security arrangements for their tour against the hosts.Many star athletes have pulled out and several countries including Australia have issued travel warnings to their citizens, saying there is high risk of a terror strike during the Games.According to media reports, Australia is also sending a team of top cops to New Delhi to provide a high-level security cordon to its athletes for the Games.However, the Australian cricketers have described as “fantastic” the arrangements.”The security so far has been fantastic. We always get looked after very well in this country. All the players and other guys are excited about being here,” Australia’s vice captain Michael Clarke said during an interaction with the journalists.”Ever since we arrived in India, the security has been outstanding. Right now, we feel very comfortable and are looking forward to the two Tests and the ODIs later on,” he added.Australian cricket team arrived here on September 20 and are scheduled a two-Test and three-ODI series.The series opener will begin here on October 1.All-rounder Shane Watson too found no problems with the security ever since the team has landed in Delhi.”Security has very good. We are being looked after extremely well. I also play for (IPL team) Rajasthan Royals and have been coming here regularly. I find the security and other arrangements exceptional,” Watson said.advertisementOff-spinner Nathan Hauritz also echoed the same sentiment.”There are lot of people around for our security. They are trying to look after us really well,” he said.Youngsters Steve Smith and Phillip Hughes said they have no clue why there is so much hue and cry about the security issue.Clarke said he has always loved touring India.”I love touring here. I also love the Indian food. I must say that I have been lucky to play in India and also enjoyed a bit of a success here. We get looked after well and people here are so passionate about this game.”And the people here also know the way Australia plays and we also love to entertain them by playing best cricket,” Clarke said.last_img read more

Ashes Test: Sophie Molineux shines on debut as Australia women dominate England

first_imgAustralia’s Left-arm spinner Sophie Molineux had a dream debut as she hurt England’s chances of saving the Ashes by picking up 3 crucial wickets on Day 3 of the only Test in Taunton on Saturday.Sophie Molineux got the big wickets of Heather Knight, Amy Jones and Sarah Taylor as England huffed and puffed to 199 for 6 at Stumps on Day 3 of the only Ashes Test. Australia had declared on 420 for 8 earlier in the day after Beth Mooney became the 5th Australian batter to score 50-plus in their first innings.England lost Tammy Beaumont to Ellyse Perry as early as the third over as the Australian star’s dream Test continued. However, Amy Jones and Heather Knight had a 79-run stand for the 2nd wicket before Sophie Molineux picked up her maiden Test wicket to send Knight walking back.Amy Jones fell to Molinuex in the 44th over but Natalie Sciver saved the blushes for the hosts on Day 3 with a hard-fought 62. Sciver remained unbeaten at close of play even as England lost Sarah Taylor and Katherine Brunt in quick succession.If the proceedings of the 1st 3 days are anything to go by, England’s chances of saving the Ashes Test looks bleak. They need nothing less than a win to avoid Australia retaining the Ashes.Rain had washed away play on Day 2 after Lunch on Friday in the Test but Ellyse Perry stole the show with her hundred. The Australia No. 4 hit 116 from 281 balls before England’s Laura Marsh got her wicket.Women’s Ashes is a point-based series and the team that earns the most points at the end of the series will clinch the trophy. Australia are the current holders of the Ashes as they won it in the backyard of England in 2015 and then retained the trophy in Australia in 2017.advertisementA team will be entitled to earn two points on winning an ODI or T20I. If the match is tied or abandoned, both teams will receive a point each. The only Test consists of four points to grab, however, in case there is a draw, the teams will get two points each.Also Read | Women’s Ashes Test: Ellyse Perry finally gets dismissed before rain plays spoilsport on Day 2Also See:last_img read more

Report Quebecor World to Become Novink

first_imgMontreal-based magazine printer Quebecor World is expected to announce this week—possibly as early as today—that it is changing its name to Novink.The company, according to Graphic Monthly Canada’s PrintCAN, applied for a trademark for “Novink” last July, and in May published the application in a Canadian trademarks journal.A Quebecor spokesperson did not immediately return a request for comment.The printer indicated it would change its name as part of the company’s emergence from Chapter 11. In April, the company reached a $1.5 billion agreement with its creditors that it says will allow the company to emerge from bankruptcy protection this summer. Last month, Quebecor World received a letter from fellow printer R.R. Donnelley expressing interest in purchasing Quebecor for roughly $1.35 billion. A vote on a response by Quebecor’s board of directors is expected imminently.A Quebecor creditor’s meeting is scheduled for June 18.last_img read more

James Cameron congratulates Marvel on beating Avatar at the box office

first_img Marvel Tags James Cameron congratulated Marvel for beating his movie, Avatar, in terms of box office sales. James Cameron This past weekend was a big one for Marvel Studios. Not only did the company reveal plenty of movies for its upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 at San Diego Comic-Con, but it also reached the top of the box office with Avengers: Endgame,  surpassing 2009’s Avatar. One person congratulating the studio was Avatar’s director, James Cameron. Cameron tweeted his congratulations Monday morning from the official Avatar Twitter account. The tweet consisted of Iron Man surrounded by woodsprites from the film with a caption reading “Oel ngati kameie,” which is Na’vi for “I see you.”  Now playing: Watch this: To @JimCameron- you’re a monumental reason why we fell in love with film in the first place. Thank you for always inspiring us and opening the world’s eyes to what’s possible. We can’t wait to see where you take us next… pic.twitter.com/nrOqKVjGFa— Russo Brothers (@Russo_Brothers) July 22, 2019 Previous examples of this box office baton that’s been passed since 1977, starting with Steven Spielberg himself. (Cameron is the only director to pass to himself, from Titanic to Avatar.) pic.twitter.com/RHQC6tSsiM— Fandango (@Fandango) July 22, 2019 TV and Movies Culture Congratulations, @MarvelStudios! pic.twitter.com/DWZDX0uDVi— Avatar (@officialavatar) July 22, 2019 Review • AVADirect Avatar VR desktop review: A big, powerful VR desktop 3:04center_img Saturday was when Avengers: Endgame took the top spot with $2.79 billion in ticket sales, putting Avatar in second place at $2.789 billion. This is the second congrats from the Avatar director. In May, Cameron gave kudos to the Marvel team when Avengers: Endgame grossed more than the director’s previous box office mega-hit, Titanic. Cameron is following a tradition of directors congratulating others for their box office smashes. Most notably, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas praised one another when their respective films, Star Wars, Jaws and Jurassic Park, out-earned one another. The Russo Brothers, who directed the record-breaking film, tweeted their appreciation for Cameron, saying he was a “monumental reason” they fell in love with film. Saturday was also the day Marvel Studios revealed its upcoming movies, including Thor 4: Love and Thunder, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and Blade starring Marhersella Ali.  Marvel didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Originally published on July 22, 8 a.m. PT.Update, 1:03 p.m. PT: Adds Russo Brothers tweet. 0 Post a comment Marvel’s Phase 4 plan explained AVADirect Avatar VR desktop Share your voicelast_img read more

Indian rupee falls to new low since Narendra Modi came to power

first_imgThe Indian rupee hit a new low of 68.86 against the US dollar on Thursday, as foreign investors continue to sell their holdings in view of an imminent interest rate hike by the US Federal Reserve next month. The previous all-time low for the domestic currency was 68.85 on August 28, 2013.On that day, the rupee experienced its biggest single-day fall in 18 years but gained later to close at 66.24.Narendra Modi was voted to power in May 2014 when his BJP-led NDA swept the general elections, ousting the Congress-led UPA that remained in office for 10 years.Earlier, on Thursday, the rupee opened 19 paise lower at 68.76.Foreign institutional investors (FIIs/FPIs) have been on a selling spree in November, offloading debt and equities worth $3.18 billion, the Mint reported.The fall is not confined to the Indian rupee alone. “Asian currencies’ drop to a seven-year low will probably deter regional central banks from easing monetary policies as the prospects of higher U.S. rates spurred capital outflows,” Geojit BNP Paribas said in a note on Thursday morning.The BSE Sensex closed at 25,860 on Thursday, down 192 points, or 0.74 percent. Top index losers were Tata Motors, Sun Pharma and Axis Bank.”Continued weakness in rupee against dollar, last hour of expiry square-off and the disruptions in Rajya debate over demonetization have dragged the market. This phase of consolidation is likely to continue in the near-term given the domestic setbacks and losing strength of the EMs due to buoyant bond yield,” Vinod Nair, Head of Research, Geojit BNP Paribas Financial Services, said in a note.The BSE Bankex closed 1.45 percent, with the top losers being Kotak Mahindra Bank, Axis Bank, Federal Bank and IndusInd Bank. State Bank of India ended with gains of 1.14 percent at Rs 261.70.last_img read more

Procession rejects postponement of quota protests

first_imgA faction of quota protesters brought out a procession at the Dhaka University campus area on Tuesday. Photo: Mosabber HossainA faction of the students and job-seeking youth has rejected the decision to postpone the demonstration demanding reforms of the quota system in public service, following talks with the government.Apparently infuriated by the postponement of the campaign before any formal announcement, the protesters in  hundreds held a rallly on the Dhaka University campus on Tuesday.Some of the protesters requested others not to bring out any procession and to wait until the government scrutises the matter and gives its decision after 7 May.In fact, the road transport and bridges minister Obaidul Quader, in a meeting with a delegation of 20 demonstrators, said they had agreed to postpone the programme until 7 May.Some protesters expressed their dissent on Monday evening. On Tuesday they brought out a procession, chanting slogans demanding reforms in the quota system in public service.The protagonists of the dialogue with the government requested all others to ignore the call to continue the campaign, reports UNB.Rashed Khan, joint convener of Bangladesh General Students’ Rights Protection Council, came up with the request while briefing reporters in front of Dhaka University Central Library premises.He alleged that a faction, from the beginning of the movement, was trying to disrupt their programme.Rashed also said that they have suspended their movement until 7 May following the assurance from the prime minister on quota reformation.He requested journalists not to cover any programme of the ‘dissidents’ as that might create confusion among people.The protesters apologised for assaulting some journalists during the Monday protest.The leaders of the council demanded an apology from agriculture minister Matia Chowdhury for her comments in parliament on Monday night.The ‘dissidents’ are in favour of carrying out their movement on the university campus, demanding reforms in the quota system within one week.last_img read more

Sri Lanka speaker refuses to accept Rajapaksa as prime minister

first_imgKaru Jayasuriya, speaker of the parliament of Sri Lanka, attend a party leaders and members meeting at the parliament in Colombo, Sri Lanka 2 November 2018.Photo: ReutersSri Lanka’s speaker of parliament said on Monday he would not accept a former president, Mahinda Rajapaksa, as the new prime minister until he proves he commands a majority in parliament.President Maithripala Sirisena fired the sitting prime minister, Ranil Wickremesinghe, on 26 October and appointed Rajapaksa in his place, sparking a political crisis.Wickremesinghe has denounced his dismissal as unconstitutional and vowed to remain prime minister until parliament votes him out.”The majority of members are of the view that the changes … are unconstitutional and against traditions,” the speaker of parliament, Karu Jayasuriya, said in a statement.Sirisena suspended parliament after he appointed Rajapaksa, raising concern among political parties at home and among Sri Lanka’s traditional allies such as India, the United States and European Union.Rajapaksa is known as a Sri Lankan nationalist, while being close to China.He is seen as a hero by many among Sri Lanka’s Buddhist majority but has been accused by diplomats of serious human rights abuses in the war against rebels from the Tamil minority, which ended during his tenure as president, in 2009.He has denied abuses and said in a statement after he was sworn in he wanted to end religious and ethnic divisions in the country of 21 million people.Jayasuriya said most members of parliament had called on him not to accept the changes.”I will have to accept the status quo prior to the changes” until a majority in parliament accepted them, he said.On Friday, 118 members of the 225-seat legislature met the speaker and called for the reconvening of parliament. On Sunday, Sirisena said parliament would be recalled on 14 November.Jayasuriya said it was difficult for him to remain silent when the norms of democracy and the rights of a majority of members of parliament had been violated.Foreign Minister Sarath Amunugama told a news conference Jayasuriya was not being impartial.The European Union warned last week it will consider stripping Sri Lanka of its duty-free access if it backs off commitments on human rights, amid worries stoked by the appointment of Rajapaksa.The United States and Japan have put some aid to Sri Lanka on hold because of the political crisis, Sri Lankan government officials have said.Sirisena has said Wickremesinghe was removed after his cabinet was dissolved in line with the constitution, but Wickremesinghe loyalists say it was unconstitutional.last_img read more