MLAX : After quick start, SU offense struggles to find rhythm in rest of victory over Army

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Published on February 27, 2011 at 12:00 pmcenter_img Syracuse took possession with about 50 seconds left in the third quarter and held for what it hoped would be the last shot.As the clock ticked down to 20 seconds, senior midfielder Jovan Miller started his run near midfield.Once the help came from an Army defender to cut Miller off, he dished the ball to junior attack Tim Desko behind the net. Desko worked his way out front with the clock dipping below 10 seconds. Army sent a double team at him, eventually popping the ball free.SU senior attack Stephen Keogh scooped up the loose ball on the right side with three seconds left. He sent a desperation pass behind his back to the front of the crease. But the buzzer sounded as the pass fell harmlessly to the Carrier Dome turf.And that failed possession epitomized the Orange’s offense for much of its 11-9 win over the Black Knights on Sunday in the Dome. After scoring seven goals in less than 12 minutes to open the game, SU mustered four scores the rest of the contest. It endured a scoreless stretch that lasted just less than 27 minutes. The Orange tallied four shots on goal after halftime.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text‘I think we came out in the second half impatient,’ head coach John Desko said. ‘I thought that we wanted to make something happen right away and maybe relaxed a little too much looking at the scoreboard.’The offense’s struggles started in the second quarter when Army switched to a zone defense. That helped the Black Knights slow the pace of the game more to their style of play, as the Orange couldn’t find the back of the net with its shots.After scoring seven goals on nine shots in the first quarter, SU tallied two on 16 shots in the second. Only half of those attempts were on target, and by then John Desko felt Army goaltender Tom Palesky started seeing the ball better.The Orange still managed to take a 9-3 lead into halftime. But it started falling apart right out of the break.‘We became less patient,’ sophomore attack JoJo Marasco said. ‘Once we would get the ball, we’d try to go to the goal right away. We’d get it around maybe once, and we thought we had a couple opportunities. We need to take high percentage shots, and we weren’t taking them.’Syracuse’s first possession of the third quarter ended with an offside violation. Its second ended with an Army goal.Keogh started the possession with a shot from the middle that Palesky deflected out of bounds. SU kept the ball, and the Orange then worked the ball around for nearly two minutes.Senior midfielder Josh Amidon finally got a look from the middle of the zone. But as he wound up for a shot, the ball popped out of his stick into the air. Black Knights midfielder Brandon Butler scooped it up and took off the other way. He sped down the right side and bounced a shot past Syracuse goalie John Galloway to put the score at 9-4.Fortunately for SU, that was the only goal Army scored in the third. But as the Orange offense continued to sputter, its defense finally started to give way, allowing the Black Knights to storm back.‘It’s really frustrating for them to get back in the game like that,’ Tim Desko said. ‘And how well we played in the first half, we couldn’t keep that up.’As Army’s offense began to click, Syracuse still couldn’t find any rhythm. After the Black Knights pulled within four, Desko was stripped coming out from behind the goal. Army scooped up the loose ball and turned it into a goal a minute later.The Orange again took possession with the score at 9-6. But Palesky made a kick save on a Marasco shot, and Army converted again with a goal about 30 seconds later.SU did manage to end the scoring drought with two late goals and hold off the Black Knights’ comeback attempt. But it was the offense’s disappearance that allowed Army to claw its way back in the first place.‘It was frustrating, but we’d like to be more patient on offense in the second half,’ Tim Desko said. ‘We weren’t doing that.’zjbrown@syr.edulast_img read more

Ex-GFA Boss Kwesi Nyantakyi may be dragged to court in two weeks

first_imgMore than a year since the documentary by Anas Aremeraw Anas on widespread corruption within Ghana football aired, one of the major scalps from the investigation, then-President Kwesi Nyantakyi, might finally have his day in court.The Attorney General, Gloria Akuffo, has indicated that her outfit is working to present the case involving Kwesi Nyantakyi before court, hinting that the legal processes might be initiated in two weeks.This came to light during an interaction with Members of Parliament (MPs) on Thursday where she responded to queries posed to her by the legislators.When the Mion constituency MP Mohammed Abdul-Aziz inquired of the status of the investigations into the actions of the former GFA honcho, she said that another high-profile case – the killing of a member of Anas’ team, Ahmed Suale who was going to be a key witness – had stalled the case.“Unfortunately, Mohammed Suale, a member of Tiger Eye and a principal witness with whom the prosecutors directly engaged in the preparation of the case was tragically killed on 16th May, 2019. The death of the journalist unavoidably stalled the preparation of the case,” she noted.She was hopeful that prosecution would begin within a fortnight.“The review of the docket has since been completed and the presentation of the case in court is imminent. Give and take a week or a fortnight, the matter may be presented [to court] but I need to say that the filing is within our control but the fixing and actual presentation is in the control of the court,” she added.Nyantakyi’s downfallKwesi Nyantakyi lost his standing, and all positions in local and international football after Anas Aremeyaw screened his exposé, dubbed #Number12 a year ago which captured the former GFA Boss allegedly detailing how would personally benefit from a supposed $15 million sponsorship money for Ghana’s league.Nyantakyi, also told the supposed investor, how he [the investor] could be given several government contracts if he paid bribes to some key government officials such as Ghana’s President and the Vice President.He resigned from his positions at the GFA, WAFU, CAF and FIFA, where he served as a member of the world football governing body’s Executive Council and was later banned from all footballing activities for life.The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) was directed by the President to investigate the matter and as part of their investigations, they seized mobile phones and laptops of the embattled football administrator as he was formally charged with defrauding by false pretence.Nyantakyi has since been replaced as GFA President by Kurt Okraku.last_img read more