Three Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militants were killed in a night long encounter in Pulwama. Their charred bodies were recovered on Thursday morning.Police sources said all three trapped militants, who engaged the security forces in a gunfight on Wednesday night, were killed in a house. The house of a civilian was completely damaged in the encounter as it caught fire.The slain militants were identified as Majid, Irshad and Shariq. Two rifles have been recovered from encounter site. All killed militants were locals. One of the three militants is a teenager, aged around 14.The fresh killing takes the toll of slain militants to five in the past 24 hours.PTI adds…The encounter lasted for over six hours.Majid Dar, one of the slain militants, was involved in a number of killings, including that of sarpanch of Kakapora and district president of Pulwama, a police official said here.This is the first successful counter-insurgency operation in Pulwama area, which is believed to have large presence of local militants aided with a strong-network of over ground workers, he said.The successful operation is a big blow to the LeT terror outfit, which recently lost its commander Junaid Mattoo in an encounter at Arwin village in Anantnag district of South Kashmir on June 17, he added.This is the second successful operation against the terror outfit within three days.On Wednesday, two militants were killed in an encounter in Sopore township of Baramulla district in north Kashmir.
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Monday accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of discrimination against the Congress government in Punjab on matters of religious importance, as part of his and his party’s divisive agenda.Capt. Amarinder in a statement asked why the Prime Minister had not pointed fingers at the Akali Dal leaders, including the Badals, for failing to attend the Central government function to commemorate the centenary of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.“Neither Parkash Singh Badal nor Sukhbir Badal, nor Harsimrat Badal, who happens to be a Minister in Modi’s own Cabinet, deemed it fit to pay their homage to the martyrs at the historic Jallianwala Bagh,” said the Chief Minister, pointing out that Mr. Modi himself chose to keep away from the occasion of national importance but had criticised him (Amarinder) even though he had been part of a series of events at the Jallianwala Bagh national memorial. “Why was Mr. Modi not present at this major event? Why did the Badals fail to turn up, and why did the Prime Minister choose to conveniently ignore their absence,” asked the Chief Minister. ‘PM exposed’Capt. Amarinder said by holding a parallel event to mark the Jallianwala Bagh centenary, instead of supporting the State government’s commemorative programmes, the Prime Minister had exposed his true intent.He added that there was a clear pattern in the Prime Minister’s attack on him on the Jallianwala Bagh issue, which the Central government had been trying to politicise to woo the Punjabi community and further the BJP’’s political ambitions.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, August 30, 2017 – Grand Turk – Just days now left to get public schools ready for the start of the new academic year and during House of Assembly meeting last week, Education Minister Karen Malcolm not only congratulated student for their results for the CXC and CVQ but she update on whether or not government schools will be ready for the thousands of youngsters when they return.In Grand Turk there is reportedly good progress on the readiness of buildings, but in Provo, work will continue into this weekend and some equipment needed was due in this week.“We visited the schools here on Grand Turk and we can confirm that works are going well, and I’m sure that by the next weekend works will be completed. We visited a few schools in Providenciales, the ones that we didn’t visit we spoke with the contractors and they confirmed that they are working and they are hoping to have all the AC’s etc. that they need on island this week.”There was also a report on the first set of students to transition from Long Bay High to Clement Howell High, as their classrooms are not yet ready for occupation.“The third formers will be going to Clement Howell this year, as the block is not completed and they will be there for the full year. So starting next September the third formers will be at the LongBay High School.”School begins on Monday September 4 for most institutions in the TCI. Related Items:
April 27, 2018 Sexually violent predator to be placed in home near Jacumba Hot Springs KUSI Newsroom Posted: April 27, 2018 Updated: 10:12 PM 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — A sexually violent predator granted conditional release in San Diego County must be placed at a home in Jacumba Hot Springs by June 4, a judge ruled Friday.Herman Smith, 71, was convicted of forcible rape and other sex crimes in 1993 and was sentenced to 25 years in prison. He was found to be a sexually violent predator in 2009 and was committed to the Department of State Hospitals to undergo treatment.Last year, Smith petitioned the Superior Court to be released through the Conditional Release Program for sex offenders and, after a trial, Judge Howard Shore found Smith amenable to being released.David Jimenez, who currently lives near where Smith is going to reside on Desert Rose Ranch Road, told the judge he didn’t think it was fair that Smith was being placed in Jacumba Hot Springs. Jacumba Hot Springs is located in the far reaches of southeastern San Diego County.“I’m very uncomfortable,” Jimenez said outside court. “I do think Jacumba is a dumping ground for predators.”Jimenez, who is moving closer to the city of San Diego for health reasons, said another sexually violent predator lived in the same home on Desert Rose Ranch Road previously and caused no problems, but he believes Smith moving in will drop the value of his home as he tries to sell it. KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
Montreal-based magazine printer Quebecor World is expected to announce this week—possibly as early as today—that it is changing its name to Novink.The company, according to Graphic Monthly Canada’s PrintCAN, applied for a trademark for “Novink” last July, and in May published the application in a Canadian trademarks journal.A Quebecor spokesperson did not immediately return a request for comment.The printer indicated it would change its name as part of the company’s emergence from Chapter 11. In April, the company reached a $1.5 billion agreement with its creditors that it says will allow the company to emerge from bankruptcy protection this summer. Last month, Quebecor World received a letter from fellow printer R.R. Donnelley expressing interest in purchasing Quebecor for roughly $1.35 billion. A vote on a response by Quebecor’s board of directors is expected imminently.A Quebecor creditor’s meeting is scheduled for June 18.
1:28 • See All Culture In the middle of a sprawling conference and festival like SXSW, Land O’Lakes is also one of many companies vying for the attention of folks looking for the next, large, colorful, interactive experience to duck into and maybe even snap some pics for Instagram.The Copernicus Project also let goers do things like see how they stack up in their perceptions of food issues. For example, they could take a small spool of yarn color-coded to their diet (vega, carnivore, omnivore, etc) and wrap it around pegs in order to indicate how much they think the average meal costs, or what the most pressing food challenge is: Scarcity? Food safety? Global hunger?And if attendees would consider adding bugs to their diet as a protein source, for example, they could have voted with a small yellow plastic ball. Share your voice The Copernicus Project reminds SXSW attendees they’re not the center of the food universe. Land O’Lakes At an interactive experience called The Copernicus Project by Land O’Lakes, South by Southwest festivalgoers got some food for thought.Tying art installations into topics like biodiversity and nanotechnology meant that attendees could stand inside a room with floor-to-ceiling LED screens to get facts about where our food comes from, or slide into a giant avocado ball pit while pretending to be a nanobot. “People learn when they touch things,” said Land O’Lakes CTO Teddy Bekele.The thinking behind the name of the installation, which ended Sunday night, comes from the idea that Nicolaus Copernicus said the Earth wasn’t the center of the universe. Similarly, Land O’Lakes wants folks to know humans aren’t the center of the food universe. Now playing: Watch this: reading • Land O’Lakes’ Copernicus Project: Humans aren’t the center of the food universe Mar 15 • LG ‘Snow White’ makes ice cream from capsules SXSW 2019 Mar 20 • Us review: Jordan Peele’s horror flick holds up a dark mirror to Get Out Tags Mar 19 • AOC, Bill Nye and the apocalypse: The insanity of SXSW 2019 Mar 15 • Men can now breastfeed SXSW 2019 0 Land O’Lakes’ Copernicus Project lets you get hands on… Post a comment