Rodriguez key at both ends as Switzerland reaches World Cup

first_imgLATEST STORIES Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ MOST READ Northern Ireland coach Michael O’Neill said his team’s exit after a spirited second-half Sunday was “a devastating moment.”“It was decided by a really poor decision and a penalty that should never have been,” O’Neill said, 25 minutes after the final whistle. “We should still be playing extra time now.”“It was a privilege to be their coach and manager tonight,” said O’Neill, who shared tearful embraces with players at the final whistle.Northern Ireland came to Basel with aggression in its play that had been strangely lacking in the home leg.Still, Switzerland dominated much of the first half and should have sealed its place at a fourth straight World Cup much earlier.ADVERTISEMENT Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Switzerland’s players Valon Behrami, Granit Xhaka and Ricardo Rodriguez, from right, celebrate winning the World Cup play-offs second leg soccer match between Switzerland and Northern Ireland at the St. Jakob-Park stadium in Basel, Switzerland, Sunday, Nov. 12, 2017. (Peter Klaunzer/Keystone via AP)BASEL, Switzerland — Switzerland is going to the World Cup after left-back Ricardo Rodriguez denied Northern Ireland hope in both games of their playoff at either end of the field.In each leg of Switzerland’s 1-0 aggregate win, the key incident involved one of Northern Ireland’s Evans brothers.ADVERTISEMENT Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene All three now have at least 50 international appearances. None had been born the last time Northern Ireland played at a World Cup, in 1986.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jimmie Johnson’s title reign ends with wreck in Phoenix Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales?center_img View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Center forward Haris Seferovic was most at fault, failing to hit the target with two first-half headed chances and a late shot lofted high over the goal.Though Petkovic declined to criticize the Benfica forward, who was booed by some fans when substituted, the coach acknowledged a regular weakness of his 11th-ranked team.“We have to be more clinical in front of goal,” Petkovic said through a translator. “We had to suffer to the end, especially with this chance Northern Ireland had.”In the first of four stoppage-time minutes, Evans rose at the far post to meet a cross that goalkeeper Yann Sommer misjudged to leave himself stranded.Rodriguez moved across the goalmouth toward the post and hooked the ball clear as he fell backward into the goal.With their spot in Russia secured, the Swiss enter the pot of second-seeded teams for the World Cup draw on Dec. 1 in Moscow.Now the challenge for arguably its most talented team in decades is to go beyond the last 16 at a major tournament.In the past five years, the Swiss impressed in qualifying but failed to beat the best teams they faced — France twice, Argentina and Poland — at the 2014 World Cup and 2016 European Championship.“We don’t really set limits for us. It could be even to the final,” said Petkovic, who should have his best players at their peak in Russia.At 26, Xherdan Shaqiri is heading to his third World Cup, while Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka and Rodriguez are both 25 and have matured as standouts from the 2009 Under-17 World Cup-winning team. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Switzerland needed only a draw Sunday to advance to Russia, and a tense 0-0 result in rain-soaked Basel was preserved by Rodriguez’s goal-line clearance in stoppage time from Jonny Evans’ header.“In the right moment he was in the right place,” Switzerland coach Vladimir Petkovic said of the AC Milan defender.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogIt meant Switzerland’s disputed penalty for handball in the first-leg victory in Belfast made all the difference.Rodriguez scored that spot kick on Thursday, when Corey Evans was whistled harshly for an incident that few agreed with. Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’last_img read more

Auto Racing: Defending NSMS champ Knight wins at Redwood Acres, trails leader Collins by three

first_imgEUREKA >> The North State Modified Series ventured north to the Redwood Acres Raceway in Eureka for the holiday weekend. Defending NSMS champion Darrin Knight of Kelseyville ran down early leader Guy Young of Redding, making the winning pass on lap 24 to capture the Swartz Diesel Nor-Cal 60 feature event. Knight’s win moved him up to second on the board, but 2015 Lakeport Speedway champ Mike Collins’ fourth-place finish was enough to escalate him to three-point lead on NSMS standings.Knight …last_img read more

DDoS Attacks As Social Protest

first_imgA Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#Anonymous#ddos#hackers#privacy#security adam popescu Related Posts A new petition, organized by Anonymous, has been sent to the White House with the hopes of legitimizing DDoS attacks – those hacker-led techno-onslaughts that shut down Web sites.The petition basically asks that distributed denial of service, or DDoS attacks, be designated as legitimate forms of protest. This is quite a stretch considering the amount of damage these attacks do (just ask the Federal government, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America and a host of others). And the petition authors want those jailed for DDoS immediately released and their records cleared.Fat chance, right?The writers of the petition say DDoS attacks are the “equivalent of repeatedly hitting the refresh button on a webpage… Instead of a group of people standing outside a building to occupy the area, they are having their computer occupy a website to slow (or deny) service of that particular website for a short time.”The petition needs 25,000 signatures by February 6 in order to trigger a White House response (as of Monday night, there were 5,420 signatories). Anything less than the required amount, and the White House can treat this like spam and junk it. While it’s not likely to be effective, launching a petition like this in the wake of the death of Aaron Swartz and the wave of newfound support for hacktivists, may be the best possible timing for the petition to gain supporters (another online petition entitled “Reform the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act” also attempts to catch the rising support for hactivism). Still, that doesn’t mean it’s going to get real traction. A glass-half-empty look at the petition could classify it as a naive, tongue-in-cheek attempt from the black hat world to justify their activities – likely doomed to failure. Chance Of Snow In Hell Today“There is no way in hell the White House will ever legalize DDoS,” said activist and Australian journalist Asher Wolf. Wolf believes the petition comes from the Anonymous Collective. Attempts at contacting Anonymous were not returned at time of publication. But this issue may not be as morally black-and-white as one mightl make it. Security expert Dan Kaminsky says that while he wouldn’t sign the petition, he thinks the attempt is far from silly or naive. Kaminsky indicated that while the petition may be misguided, the idea of creating legitimate forms of online protest in the heavily guarded online world are needed.“People are going to figure out how protest works in a system that has gotten very good at suppressing protest,” Kaminsky said. “I see where they’re coming from… I understand the desire.”The fundamental problem with DDoS, Kaminsky added, is the numbers disparity between those who perform the DDoS attacks and those targeted. Usually the culprits are small groups of people targeting large numbers of computers. So while many computers are affected, in terms of manpower the numbers of actual participants are low. Kaminsky believes that’s what makes DDoS a lesser form of protest than say physical people in the streets.  “What makes protest work is the visible human investment,” he said. “Five people in Guy Fawkes masks protesting Scientology makes an impact. Who cares how many computers are involved, they don’t have opinions… One hundred thousand people protesting is very different from making 100,000 computers [shut down].”Not All About Social ChangeJust when you’re ready to change your mind about the hacker collective and believe they’re about to bring the world positive change, they go and do something that would make even their staunchest supporter say: “Huh?”Last night, Anonymous took credit for hacking into several news organizations’ websites, including the Los Angeles Times, Slate and Vanity Fair – all to wish a very special happy birthday to a fellow hacker. One step forward, two steps back.How Will Anonymous And Friends Be Treated?While this petition will not likely make it to the White House’s to-do list, it reflects a sense of the growing power of Anonymous and similar groups. These organizations looking for new ways to expand power and be taken seriously in this fast-evolving online landscape.In the last few years, the Anonymous movement has gone from small hacker cells to mainstream in-person gatherings the world over, with thousands donning masks and pounding the pavement. If they can translate that sheer human power to the Web, they may become much more powerful. If and when that happens, governments may being to treat with them the way they do foreign principalities – or terrorists. Photo Courtesy Of Shutterstockcenter_img Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hostinglast_img read more

Pune man punished with 50 squats for ‘objectionable’ remark against Raj Thackeray

first_imgA video clip, showing Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) workers allegedly punishing a man with 50 squats in Pune for allegedly criticising party chief Raj Thackeray on social media, has gone viral.In the clip, the man identifies himself as Rohit Burade, and is surrounded by MNS workers led by the student wing leaders Ashish Sable-Patil and Rahul Gawali. He is made to acknowledge his “error” in posting an “objectionable” comment against Mr. Thackeray on the MNS leader’s Facebook page.The MNS workers are heard saying that Mr. Burade was let off easily as he was a Maharashtrian hailing from a poor family. “His father passed away… Hence, we are not beating him up,” one of them is heard remarking.The party workers are then heard reprimanding Mr. Burade, making him say, ““Raaj saheb, I have made a mistake and this will not happen again,” even as the victim is seen gasping for breath. They then issue a warning that anyone insulting Mr. Thackeray would suffer a similar fate. No case has been lodged against the MNS workers.last_img read more

NBA fires Turkish company that left Enes Kanter off a tweet

first_imgPortland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard, let, congratulates center Enes Kanter who reacts after hanging from the rim after putting the ball in for a basket against the Denver Nuggets in the first half of Game 1 of an NBA basketball second-round playoff series Monday, April 29, 2019, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)The NBA reacted in support of Portland’s Enes Kanter on Thursday, not long after the league’s Turkish-centric Twitter account failed to mention Kanter’s efforts in the Trail Blazers’ victory over Denver in Game 2 of the teams’ Western Conference semifinal series.The league also fired the Turkish company in charge of operating that account.ADVERTISEMENT Joel Embiid, 76ers pull ahead 2-1 after rout of Raptors Kanter has previously said that he will seek a U.S. passport; his Turkish one was canceled in 2017. Citing security concerns and a fear of being arrested, Kanter chose to miss two games outside of the U.S. so far in 2019 — when he was with the New York Knicks he did not accompany them for a game in London in January, and he didn’t travel with Portland for a game in Toronto on March 1.His reluctance to leave the U.S. coincides with Turkish officials seeking a “red notice” through Interpol and pursuing Kanter’s arrest since January, alleging that he backed exiled Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen and provided financial support to his group. Gulen has been blamed for a failed coup on the Erdogan government in 2016; Kanter has dismissed that as a “fake coup” staged by Erdogan.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue View comments Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting LATEST STORIES Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated Kanter — who has been estranged from Turkey, his homeland, for at least two years and is a longtime critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan — had 15 points and nine rebounds in Portland’s 97-90 victory Wednesday night. After the game, the NBA tweeted out a list of stat leaders and included Kanter; the Turkish account, @NBATurkiye, made no mention of Kanter.It’s the latest twist in a long saga, one where the Turkish government has sought Kanter’s arrest and he has claimed, among other things, that the government censors him and forbids the airing of Portland games in the country. The NBA said Turkish fans can still see all games through its various platforms.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“Fans in Turkey can watch all playoff games featuring Enes Kanter and the Portland Trail Blazers on NBA League Pass and NBA TV International,” NBA Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer Mark Tatum said. “The NBA Turkey Twitter account was managed by a local vendor and we are terminating that relationship.”The National Basketball Players Association also put out a statement in support of Kanter on Thursday, saying it “fully supports our players using their platforms to stand up for their beliefs and the principles they support. We stand with Enes and, as with all of our players, will work to ensure that he is treated fairly and with respect.” SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid MOST READ DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassleslast_img read more