Creeslough water supply removed from EPA risk list

first_imgThe Creeslough Water Supply has been given the thumbs up by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), who have removed the supply from their Remedial Action List (RAL).Over 3,000 consumers use the Creeslough Water Supply, which had been identified as ‘at risk’ of failing to consistently supply safe, clean drinking water.Extensive investment and upgrade works were carried out by Irish Water working in partnership with Donegal Council to improve the supply. The latest report from the EPA shows that Irish Water has reduced the number of schemes on the RAL in Donegal from 11 to 4, since 2015.Works are continuing on the remaining four Donegal water supplies with a view to having them removed from the RAL as soon as possible. The water supplies currently on the RAL are Greencastle, Glenties, Milford and Letterkenny. All four water supplies are expected to be removed from the RAL in 2020. Creeslough water supply removed from EPA risk list was last modified: December 5th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

A Mid-Season Dicamba Update

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Ryan Rubischko, North America Dicamba Portfolio Lead with Monsanto, gives an update on dicamba use and possible issues as the 2018 growing season reaches the halfway point.last_img

US orders 15 Cuban diplomats to leave Canada stays the course on

first_imgWASHINGTON – Canada and the United States have responded in drastically different ways to bizarre attacks on diplomatic personnel in Havana, with the Americans pursuing a hardline approach that escalated Tuesday.The U.S. expelled 15 of Cuba’s diplomats from Washington, just days after removing more than half its personnel from Havana to protest the failure to protect Americans from unexplained sonic attacks that have caused dizziness, hearing loss and cognitive damage.Although several Canadian personnel were also affected this year, the federal government says the attacks have apparently stopped; there have been no incidents since the spring; the Cuban government has been co-operative in investigating the incidents; and there is no change in policy.A prominent anti-Castro hardliner says he doesn’t blame Canada for taking a different tack. While Sen. Marco Rubio urged the U.S. to respond forcefully, he said circumstances will differ from country to country.”Every nation will have to make their own determination, obviously,” Rubio told The Canadian Press.”But for us it was indisputable that we could not expose our diplomats and people serving abroad to physical attacks. If the host nation can not guarantee their safety, they can’t be there.”The U.S. announced Tuesday that it had given the Cuban government a list of 15 names of people who had to leave Washington within one week, the latest move in the fallout of the strange attacks and one which was criticized by the Cuban government..The move reverses several years of historic momentum toward closer relations between the old enemies, as the Cold War foes only recently re-established diplomatic relations and reopened embassies that had been shuttered for decades.But the U.S. was adamant Tuesday: diplomatic relations with Cuba will continue. It also stressed that the latest announcements do not mean it believes the Cuban government is behind the unexplained attacks.”This move does not signal a change of policy or determination of responsibility,” a U.S. State Department official said Tuesday.”We are maintaining diplomatic relations with Havana. The decision on expulsions was taken due to Cuba’s inability to protect our diplomats in Havana, as well as to ensure equity in the impact on our respective operations. …”We will need full assurances from the Cuban government that these attacks will not continue before we can even contemplate returning personnel.”The U.S. also disclosed that the attacks had produced a 22nd victim, one more than previously reported. That person was the victim of an attack in January. The incidents stopped for a time, but reportedly recurred as recently as late August.The Canadian government said there have been no known Canadian victims since the spring. Canada, which has historically had far warmer relations than the U.S. with Castro-led Cuba, announced last week that it is not following Washington’s lead in withdrawing diplomats.”We do not have any reason to believe Canadian tourists and other visitors could be affected,” said a statement last week from Ottawa.”Canada currently has no plans to change its travel advice and advisory for Cuba or remove its staff from Cuba.”The Associated Press reported that Cuban official called the American response “irresponsible,” and “hasty.”President Raul Castro’s government has denied involvement in the attacks.Before full diplomatic relations were restored in 2015, Cuba had about two-dozen accredited staffers at what was then called the Cuban interests section, according to a State Department list. The AP reports that the number at times climbed as high as more than 50, and the latest edition of the U.S. “Diplomatic List” identifies 26 accredited Cubans at the embassy, almost all accompanied by spouses.The removal of 15 will reduce the Cuban staffing to roughly a dozen accredited diplomats.In Havana, the U.S. had roughly 54 diplomats in its embassy until deciding Friday to pull more than half of them out and leave behind only “essential personnel.” The departing Americans are expected to have all left Cuba by week’s end, officials said.The Cuban diplomats being expelled will not be deemed “persona non grata,” officials said, a designation that would prevent them from ever returning to U.S. soil.To medical investigators’ dismay, symptoms have varied widely. In addition to hearing loss and concussions, some people have experienced nausea, headaches and ear-ringing. The AP has reported that some now suffer from problems with concentration and common word recall.___With files from The Associated Presslast_img read more

Rep Maturen looking forward to interviewing military academy candidates

first_img Categories: Maturen News State Rep. Dave Maturen has again been named to a committee that assists U.S. Rep. Fred Upton in interviewing candidates seeking nominations to military service academies.“I have been honored to participate in the selection process for more than 20 years, and every year I continue to be thoroughly impressed by the talented young people from the greater Kalamazoo area who have an interest in serving their country,” said Rep. Maturen, R-Vicksburg. “I look forward to meeting with this year’s candidates.”Service academies are federal education institutions that prepare officers for the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Merchant Marines and the Coast Guard. Nominations for appointment may be given by the president of the United States, vice president of the United States, senators and members of the U.S. House of Representatives.Candidates are evaluated in five areas: moral character, academic record, leadership potential, physical fitness and commitment to the military.Rep. Maturen – who previously served in the Army – will screen and interview candidates along with other committee members appointed by Congressman Upton. The committee will then provide Congressman Upton with a list of potential nominees.Interviews will be held on Saturday, Dec. 3.### 29Nov Rep. Maturen looking forward to interviewing military academy candidateslast_img read more

The European Broadcasting Union EBU said it will

first_imgThe European Broadcasting Union (EBU) said it will stop streaming former Greek public service broadcaster ERT from tomorrow, amid reports that its temporary replacement Greek Public Television (EDT) will broadcast news services this week.In a statement, the European public service media alliance said that it will cease to stream ERT via its satellite capacity and the ERU website at 9am Central European Time on Wednesday August 21.“Since 12 June, when the Greek government abruptly stopped ERT from operating, the EBU has delivered 8.5 million live streams for a total of 4.4 million hours of cumulative viewing to 2.5 million unique visitors and consistently called for the restitution of public service media in Greece, which is vital for culture, democracy and for society itself,” said the EBU.It added that the EBU’s leadership had written to the Greek government offering support and expertise to help ERT’s planned full-time successor, New Hellenic Radio, Internet and Television (NERIT), to “fulfil its potential for independence and solid governance.”ERT responded to the EBU’s decision by saying that it will continue to stream its television and radio broadcasts via all other distribution and re-streaming points, including the websites ERTopen.com and ThePressProject.gr.The Greek government controversially shut down ERT in June in a bid to save money, causing the loss of 2,700 jobs. However, fired staff continue to occupy the broadcaster’s old offices and to make broadcasts.last_img read more

Swiss digital security firm The Kudelski Group has

first_imgSwiss digital security firm The Kudelski Group has completed its acquisition of Oslo, Norway-based rival Conax. Conax provides content protection for digital TV services over broadcast, broadband and connected devices.Kudelski agreed to pay Conax’s previous owner Telenor Broadcast NOK1.509 billion (€180 million) for the conditional access unit last month.last_img

Fátima Barros Portuguese regulator ANACOMs presid

first_imgFátima BarrosPortuguese regulator ANACOM’s president Fátima Barros has taken over the presidency of BEREC, the international telecom regulators association that brings together 28 European regulators. Barros will be charged with leading BEREC’s ongoing work on the European Connected Continent proposals developed by former EC vice-president Neelie Kroes last year, including regulations covering international roaming tariffs, net neutrality and spectrum use.last_img

Linius Technologies has partnered with video solut

first_imgLinius Technologies has partnered with video solutions experts, Hemisphere, to build a ‘hyper-personalized video advertising prototype’.The solution will be made globally available on Linius’ SaaS platform, Linius Video Services, and is designed to let advertisers analyse unique ads at a granular level across any number of customised video streams.“The hyper-personalized advertising prototype is a logical extension of our strategy to encourage partners and third-parties to build solutions with virtual video on our SaaS platform, LVS,” said Linius CEO, Chris Richardson.“The hyper-personalized advertising prototype offers previously impossible data combinations, which power hyper-targeted ad delivery and analysis.”Hemisphere managing director, Glyn Beaumont, said: “For the first time, advertisers can combine viewer, contextual and frame-level consumption data with AI-generated metadata. No two people ever need see the same advertisement again.”Linius is an Australian company specialising in personalised video tech. In November the firm appointed Netflix’s former director of content acquisition, Simon Gallagher, to its advisory board.Gallagher was one of three high-profile board appointments, alongside: former Sky UK head of operations, David Butorac; and Newstag co-founder and a former member of the Swedish parliament, Camilla Dahlin-Andersson.last_img read more