Mumbai: Actor Rana Daggubati is set to produce the biopic on celebrated cricketer Muttiah Muralitharan, the makers announced on Tuesday. The film to be produced under Rana’s banner Suresh Productions, features Vijay Sethupathi as the Sri Lankan spin legend. Rana said he is excited to have Sethupathi on board for the film to be directed by MS Sripathy and co-produced by Dar Media Pvt Ltd. “Suresh Productions is going to be associated with Dar films in telling the story of a legend through legendary actor – Vijay Sethupathi as Muttiah Muralitharan… Coming soon,” Rana said in a statement here. Rana’s recent home production film “Oh Baby!” was a blockbuster. The currently untitled biopic will go on floors in December.
VANCOUVER – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will personally reveal today what Canada has offered to provide the United Nations in terms of troops and military equipment for peacekeeping missions.The moment will mark Canada’s first tangible step back into peacekeeping since the Liberals promised last year to provide the UN with up to 600 troops and 150 police officers.But like that commitment, which stopped short of committing to any specific mission, Trudeau’s announcement is also expected to be missing some key details.Sources say the government has put several offers on the table for the UN’s consideration, including the deployment of helicopters to help in Mali, and a transport plane in Uganda to assist different missions in Africa.It is also reportedly ready to provide a rapid-reaction force in the Golan Heights between Israel and Syria; assist the UN’s new police mission in Haiti; and send trainers to help other countries get better at peacekeeping.But UN and Canadian officials are said to still be hammering out many of the details, such as when and how those offers would be employed.Trudeau’s decision to personal reveal Canada’s offer during this week’s peacekeeping summit in Vancouver nonetheless sends a message that the government is intent on delivering on its promise to help the UN.The prime minister’s announcement will be one of a number of highlights during Wednesday’s meeting, which is being attended by representatives from 80 countries involved in peacekeeping.Retired lieutenant-general Romeo Dallaire will help roll out a new set of commitments for the international community to sign onto aimed at preventing the use of child soldiers and better protecting children in conflict.The UN released a report last month that found more than 8,000 children were killed or injured in conflicts around the world in 2016 and thousands of children had been recruited or used by warring factions.Academy Award-winning actress Angelina Jolie is also scheduled to deliver a keynote address on preventing and better addressing sexual violence in armed conflict.After long ignoring the issue of sexual violence in war, the international community has in recent years stepped up its efforts to end rape and other sexual crimes in conflict zones and to hold perpetrators to account.But the UN has also struggled with revelations that peacekeepers themselves have either sexually abused or exploited the very people they were meant to protect in a number of countries.Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan kicked off the two-day Vancouver summit on Tuesday by noting that not only did Canada help invent peacekeeping, but 120,000 Canadians have worn blue helmets or berets over the years.Yet Sajjan also reminded delegates, including foreign dignitaries, military officials and civil society actors, that peacekeeping has changed since Canada was among the top troop-contributing countries in the 1990s.And he said it is imperative that the international community adapt to ensure the UN can respond effectively in what are increasingly complex and dangerous environments and conflicts.“Today, it’s rare to see UN peacekeepers monitoring a ceasefire between two countries. Today’s missions are often undertaken in areas of ongoing conflict. Places where there is not much peace to keep,” he said.“It’s more about protecting civilians and working to build a peace in a hostile environment where belligerents are not identified. In the face of this extraordinary and evolving challenge, we must ask ourselves: What can we do better? What must we do differently?”— Follow @leeberthiaume on Twitter.
TORONTO – Toronto police have laid more charges in an investigation into allegations of sex assault at an all-boys’ private school in Toronto.They say five youth have now been charged in connection with an alleged sexual assault. They are facing sex assault and assault charges for an incident at the school that was caught on video. Four of them are already accused in a separate incident at St. Michael’s College School.READ MORE: How the St. Michael’s College School sex assault scandal unfoldedPolice say they have investigated eight separate incidents at the school so far, and they don’t expect further charges. However, a seventh teen has been arrested in connection with incidents at the school. The boy, 15, reportedly turned himself into police. According to police all of the incidents allegedly took place in the fall of this year.READ MORE: 7th St. Michael’s student arrested: reportsIn mid-November, St. Michael’s College School’s administration said it received a video of an assault that took place in a boy’s washroom at the school. CityNews has viewed the video and it shows an underwear-clad teen being slapped and splashed with water by several boys. Another video of a separate incident shows a group sexual assault in a school locker room that involved a broomstick.Two top school officials resigned in wake of the scandal. The school’s principal Greg Reeves and board president Jefferson Thompson both resigned. St. Michael’s has since established a “respect and culture” review panel that’s set to report its findings by the summer. READ MORE: St. Mike’s principal, board president resign amid student sex assault scandalREAD MORE: Exploring the power dynamics in locker rooms