ATLANTA, GA – JANUARY 01: McKenzie Milton #10 of the UCF Knights looks to pass in the second half against the Auburn Tigers during the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on January 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)UCF star quarterback McKenzie Milton suffered one of the worst injuries of the college football season last week. Here’s the latest on the status of the Knights’ star QB.Milton, who has been one of the top quarterbacks in the country over the last two seasons, had to undergo emergency surgery on his leg.The full extent of Milton’s injury hasn’t been released at the request of his family, however new details on his status emerged today.Thankfully, they’re promising.From ESPN:UCF quarterback McKenzie Milton told a teammate he was able to walk over the weekend for the first time since suffering a devastating knee injury against South Florida last Friday.Milton remains hospitalized at Tampa General, though coach Josh Heupel and teammates have been to visit. Milton took a helmet to his right knee on a scramble during UCF’s 38-10 win, and his leg bent at an awkward angle. He underwent surgery on Saturday.Teammate Jordan Johnson, one of Milton’s best friends, said in an interview Monday that he spoke with Milton over the weekend on FaceTime and that Milton had walked for the first time since his surgery.UCF’s head coach, Josh Heupel, said his quarterback has been up-lifting.“The first thing he asked about before I even got up there was the game. He wanted to know what the final of the game was. Then you talk to him, and his next thought is turning to this ball game and his teammates. He cares deeply about what he and the team’s put into this season, expects us to go out and play in a great way. His thoughts will be with us on game day certainly,” he said.Our thoughts are with McKenzie and his family as he continues to recover.
The mission, known by its French acronym MONUC, reported that President Joseph Kabila and Vice-President Jean-Pierre Bemba shook hands twice before the cameras during a meeting of President Kabila and his vice presidents.While MONUC characterized the atmosphere as “relaxed and conciliatory,” it noted that the men did not make any public declarations.The meeting comes after the sustained efforts of MONUC and the international community to bring the two men together. Several foreign dignitaries, including the European Union’s High Representative for Common Foreign and Security Policy, Javier Solana, had travelled to the DRC in recent days to urge the two candidates to meet.Neither Mr. Bemba nor Mr. Kabila won a majority in the July vote, the country’s first free and fair elections in more than 40 years. They will now face each other in runoff elections on 29 October.“We are working very seriously with all concerned to ensure that the second round moves ahead as smoothly as the first round, and that the parties and the political leaders play by the rules of the game, and accept the results regardless of who wins,” said Secretary-General Kofi Annan at a news conference in New York today.In other news, MONUC said it remained concerned about the large number of weapons on the streets of the capital, Kinshasa.At a press briefing today, Deputy MONUC spokesperson Jean-Tobie Okala said that the large circulation of arms and men with arms around the city “was not good” for the electoral process.He called on all of those involved to step up their efforts to disarm and for an acceleration of the retraining and integration of militia forces into the national Army.