Events East, operators of the Halifax Convention Centre, Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic, announced today, Oct. 24, they have secured Rogers Communications Canada to provide information and communications technology (ICT) services to support its operations. Rogers will provide Internet, mobile, voice and networking connectivity services between the Halifax Convention Centre, Scotiabank Centre and Events East’s corporate offices. They will also provide the system to manage public and client Internet access. “Rogers provides a state-of-the-art technology solution that meets the evolving needs of our business as we transition to our new Halifax Convention Centre,” said Carrie Cussons, president and CEO of Events East. ”They play a key role in ensuring that our team remains integrated through daily operations, helping to provide a seamless event experience for our guests.” “Customers like Events East depend on our quality business solutions and reliable, worry-free network to increase productivity and provide a truly connected experience for all guests in their facilities,” said Bruce MacDougall, Atlantic vice-president, Rogers. “That’s why we are committed to supporting the region’s business community through investments in our mobile network and with technology services that support how our customers work.” Rogers was selected following a competitive procurement process that included an evaluation by members of the Events East team with expertise in networking solutions, event technology and operations. The estimated value of the contract is $825,000 over a five-year period. The Halifax Convention Centre is part of the Nova Centre, a one-million square-foot, mixed-used development including a hotel, financial tower and retail space. It is the largest integrated development project in the province’s history. The funding of the convention centre is shared between three levels of government, totaling $169.2 million. For more information, visit HalifaxConventionCentre.com.
She added that children should be going to school and playing with their friends, not worrying about avoiding violence or being forced to fight.The Malian Government has been seeking to restore stability and rebuild following a series of setbacks since early 2012 that fractured the country, including a military coup d’état, renewed fighting between Government forces and Tuareg rebels, and the seizure of its northern territory by radical extremists.Concern is rising that while the north has been the main focus of insurrection, central areas of the country, especially around Mopti, are increasingly being embroiled in fighting. According to the UN, so far more than 150 children have been killed in 2019, with 75 injured due to violent attacks. The number of child soldiers in armed groups has doubled comparing to the same period in 2018, and more than 900 schools remain closed due to insecurity.The sharp rise in grave violations has also resulted in a dramatic increase in the need to protect children in the north and the center of Mali. “The needs of Mali’s most vulnerable children are tremendous,” stressed Lucia Elmi, UNICEF Representative in Mali.UNICEF has been working with local authorities to protect more than 377,000 at risk children, along with other UN agencies and partners, to provide medical and psychosocial care for conflict-affected children; support the release and reintegration of children from armed groups; reunite separated children with their families; and provide care for survivors of violence, including sexual violence. The crisis in Mali remains one of the least funded humanitarian operations in the world. In 2019, UNICEF is requesting $4 million to meet child protection needs in the country. “We must not accept the suffering of children as the new normal. All parties must stop attacks on children and take all necessary measures to keep them out of harm’s way, in line with international human rights and humanitarian law,” said UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore.Abducted and abused, Sala is one of hundreds of children in Mali suffering extreme violence due to ongoing conflict. #NotATarget #ChildrenUnderAttack pic.twitter.com/STUYQDIZN7— UNICEF (@UNICEF) August 13, 2019