getty images Craig Whyte had a controversial spell as owner of Rangers Former Rangers owner Craig Whyte and ex-chief executive Charles Green have been arrested as part of an investigation into the “alleged fraudulent acquisition” of the club in 2012.Mr Green, 62, arrived at Livingston police station in West Lothian earlier today, where he was understood to have been interviewed by officers about his time at the Glasgow club.The businessman took control at the Ibrox club in 2012 after completing a purchase of Rangers’ assets and business after it went into administration and liquidation earlier that year. He stepped down as chief executive in 2013.Mr Whyte, 44, who took control of Rangers in 2011 before the club entered administration, attended a police station in Glasgow later in the day for questioning.A spokesman said: “Police Scotland can confirm a 44-year-old man has been arrested and is presently detained in police custody in connection with an ongoing investigation into an alleged fraudulent acquisition of Rangers FC in 2012.“A report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.”An earlier police statement said a 62-year-old man had been arrested and detained over the same investigation.A third man, understood to be former Rangers co-administrator David Whitehouse, was also arrested after being detained in England.Police said in a statement: “Following a Police Scotland operation on Tuesday, a 50-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation into the alleged fraudulent acquisition of Rangers FC in 2012.“Around 6am officers from Police Scotland’s economic crime unit, assisted by officers from Cheshire, attended at an address in England and detained the 50-year-old man.“He has now been arrested and is presently detained in police custody.”All three men are expected to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Wednesday. 1
1 Burton Albion insist they have not had an approach from QPR for manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.Hasselbaink has enjoyed an impressive spell in charge at the Pirelli Stadium and is reportedly the Hoops’ top target to succeed Chris Ramsey.But Burton chairman Ben Robinson has dismissed the speculation and claimed the Dutchman is fully focused on leading the League One club.Robinson said: “We have not had an approach from QPR.“The team and the manager have done fantastically well over the last 12 months and that inevitably means that there will be speculation when job vacancies arise.“We have not had an approach from QPR and Jimmy remains focussed on two important League One games coming up against Bury and Wigan.”Hasselbaink guided Burton to the League Two title last season after replacing Gary Rowett.This term, his team have made an impressive start to their League One campaign and are currently just two points off top spot with a game in hand on leaders Gillingham. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal 1 Manchester United may have handed under-pressure manager Louis van Gaal a stay of execution as a much improved Red Devils side outplayed Chelsea, although they were unable to end their winless run in another frustrating goalless draw.Having suffered perhaps their lowest point in Van Gaal’s reign with a Boxing Day defeat to Stoke, reports leading into today’s Bank Holiday Monday clash suggested the Dutchman would be sacked if they lost against the below-par Blues at Old Trafford.But The Red Devils bounced back to put in one of their most spirited performances of the season which saw the hosts twice denied by the woodwork from Juan Mata and Anthony Martial, while both goalkeepers pulled off some fine saves in an entertaining encounter.The primary cause of fan unrest under Van Gaal’s regime has been the lack of attacking football, but they were not left wanting this time around in an electric opening period at the Theatre of Dreams.An invigorated United moved the ball well and enjoyed a lot of freedom down the flanks in the early stages which allowed Juan Mata the first sight of goal against his former club.Latching onto Wayne Rooney’s clever dink, the Spaniard’s arrowed effort beat the leaping Thibaut Courtois but thumped against the crossbar.Chelsea – who started without a regonsied striker – were disjointed in midfield but, powered by the likes of Eden Hazard, Willian and Pedro, proved a real threat on the break, and Ashley Young was in the right place to clear as Chelsea soon hit back on the counter, with David De Gea pulling off a brilliant one-handed save to deny John Terry’s header from the resulting corner.United, meanwhile, were more composed with the ball and a neat sequence of passing on the left saw Anthony Martial run into space and deftly cut in on his favoured right foot, only to see his fizzing low shot also clatter the woodwork. After a lively opening 20 minutes, the game soon transformed into a scrappy battle, with both sides suffering from a lack of creativity in the fina third as the majority of attacks broke down around the box before a chance could be conjured.The forward breaks which did result in a goal attempt either produced a fine save from in-form goalkeepers De Gea and Courtois or saw a good chance escape through wasteful finishing.Chelsea came quickly out of the blocks in the second-half and De Gea was soon forced into a fine double save, first denying Pedro from range with a stretched palm before blocking Cesar Azpilicueta’s quick follow-up.Courtois then did the seemingly impossible at the anther end to deny Ander Herrera what looked a certain goal; the Belgian scrambling back to block on the line as the Spaniard slid in to prod a teasing cross goalward.Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic was then guilty of a howler as he fired wildly over the bar under no pressure after bursting free from another swift Blues counter-attack.But it is captain Rooney who will be kicking himself the most as he missed a gilt-edged chance for the winner late on. The England striker was perfectly placed to nod in 18-year-old substitute Cameron Borthwick-Jackson’s whipped cross at the back post, but instead decided to go for the volley and fired inexplicably over from close-range.There was little doubt United’s performance deserved all three points against a poor Chelsea side, but despite their improvement there is an undeniable air that their efforts may just be delaying the inevitable for an out-of-luck Van Gaal.
Granit Xhaka 1 The agent of Arsenal and Tottenham target Granit Xhaka has refused to rule out his client joining a big club.The midfielder has impressed in the Bundesliga this season, helping Borussia Mönchengladbach climb to fourth in the table.It has sparked interest from Arsenal and Tottenham in the 23-year-old, while Napoli are also monitoring his progress.And now Xhaka’s agent and father, Ragip Xhaka, has added fuel to the fire by refusing to rule out a big move.“At the moment I prefer not to say too much,” he told Napolicalciolive.“We’ll see what happens. I can say that several big clubs are interested. Everything is possible, we’re not ruling anything out.”
It may have been against a League One team, but a win is a win, say Man United fans.Louis van Gaal’s Red Devils won 3-0 to book a place in the FA Cup quarter finals where they will face West Ham at Old Trafford.FA CUP Q/F DRAW IN FULLHaving come through the game, United will play Midtjylland in the second leg of their Europa League last 32 game, before playing Arsenal in the Premier League – live on talkSPORT.VAN GAAL ADMITS UNITED COPIED MIDTJYLLAND FREE-KICK ROUTINEHere, talkSPORT looks at some tweets from United fans following their FA Cup triumph – a little too happy? 1 Fans were pleased with Man United’s 3-0 win against Shrewsbury
A busy summer is expected at Stamford Bridge.Guus Hiddink is currently taking charge in the dugout, but Roman Abramovich is set to employ a more ‘fashionable’ name as his permanent manager for the 2016/17 season.And recent reports claim Antonio Conte is the frontrunner to land the job, with claims that a deal could be wrapped up in the next 10 days.Predictably, therefore, a whole host of top players are now being linked with a summer transfer to south west London.So, who might be on Conte’s wish list?Take a look at five players who could be the subject of an offer from the reigning Premier League champions by clicking the arrow above, right. 4. Paul Pogba (Juventus) – Bets on the Frenchman moving to Stamford Bridge have recently increased, perhaps in light of reports that his former manager at Juventus, Antonio Conte, is set to become Chelseas manager. The Daily Star claim Conte has told Abramovich he wants the midfielder, and the Russian businessman is apparently preparing an £80m offer. 5. Federico Bernardeschi (Fiorentina) – Chelsea will reportedly go head-to-head with Manchester United to sign the 22-year-old this summer, though he is valued at £32m, reports in Italy claim. The Italian has impressed in the Europa League, most recently getting his name on the scoresheet against Tottenham Hotspur. Apparently the winger is keen on working with Chelseas managerial target Conte. 2. Alessio Romagnoli (AC Milan) – Chelsea are reportedly the latest club to express interest in the 21-year-old. Its been claimed that Barcelona and Bayern Munich have sent scouts to monitor Romagnoli’s performances this season, but with John Terry likely to leave in the summer, the Blues are now considering a bid at the end of the season. The Rossoneri apparently dont want to sell, but their resolve could be tested with a bid in excess of £30m. 6 6 1. Radja Nainggolan (Roma) – take a look at four other players Chelsea could be interested in by clicking the arrow above – Upon reports surfacing about Conte being the favourite for the Chelsea manager’s job, the Telegraph quickly claimed Nainggolan would be the first player he would chase. The 27-year-old is apparently the man wanted to replace Nemanja Matic and John Obi Mikel in the centre of the park, with the pair likely to be sold in the summer. 3. Arturo Vidal (Bayern Munich) – According to various reports, Chelseas technical director Michael Emenalo travelled to Italy to assess the performance of Vidal as the Bundesliga giants took on Juventus in the Champions League, a clash that ended in a 2-2 draw. The Chile international rejected a move to the Premier League in favour of the Allianz Arena last summer, but the Blues havent been put off by his snub. 6 6 6 6 6. John Stones (Everton) – Yes, the rumour that refuses to go away. Chelsea have made no secret in their wish to sign the England international, and with Terry set to leave in the summer, their desire to clinch his signature will only have increased. Not to mention the number of homegrown players in their senior squad has dwindled over the past few seasons.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Fire crews from the rest of the country have arrived in Southern California so local and state firefighters can get some rest before the winds return, he said. The CDF will also post an additional 25 engines, 14 bulldozer crews, 28 hand crews and extra helicopters and air tankers at critical spots around the region, Berlant said. “We’re talking about hundreds of additional firefighters,” he said. Long linked to devastating fires, the seasonal Santa Ana winds are created when high pressure over the Great Basin sends cold, dry air rushing toward Southern California, where it warms rapidly and speeds up as it squeezes down mountain passes and canyons and blows out to sea. A fire weather planning forecast issued Monday by the National Weather Service office in San Diego said the outlook for Friday and Saturday was for a possible “weak to moderate Santa Ana wind event.” “The exact strength of the offshore flow is still uncertain but there is potential for moderately strong gusty winds through and below mountain canyons and passes. Offshore winds will weaken by Sunday,” the forecast said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Firefighters still mopping up last week’s firestorms are preparing for another round of Santa Ana winds this weekend. The notorious Santa Anas, predicted to arrive Friday, will have sustained winds of 15 mph – much weaker than the fierce blasts of dry air that spread flames last week, but still strong enough to cause trouble to exhausted crews. “One of the reasons we’re monitoring these winds so closely is that Santa Ana winds are very unpredictable,” said Daniel Berlant, a spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. “We are going to be prepared for this wind event.” Berlant said the winds are expected to last through Saturday before dying down.
A leading Donegal tax consultant has warned the Government will continue to try different ways of finding revenue following the targeting of pensioners.Michael Coll of The Tax Clinic was speaking after 100,000 letters were sent to senior citizens warning them they may face sunstantial tax bills.The www.thetaxclinic.ie has been inundated with queries from pensioners who have received letters from The Revenue Commissioners office. Letterkenny-based Michael says “Advancements in technology have allowed state agencies such as The Department of Social Protection and The Revenue Commissioners to share huge volumes of information, which has led to this investigation.”He says that only those on higher pensions are likely to be affected by any such audit, but everyone in receipt of two pensions (Occupational & State Pensions) will have to pay tax as it falls due in the future.Michael added “The new technology will lead to many more Revenue Audits in the future as they now have a database of Landlords who are in receipt of state payments from The Department of Social Protection and Local Authorities. It is also to use the data obtained in relation to the second home tax to identify potential offenders”To find out more log onto www.thetaxclinic.ie or come see myself or any of my colleagues at our new offices at 40 The Port Road Letterkenny or contact Michael on 086 3862370 or Noel on 087 7507083. TAX CONSULTANT WARNS GOVERNMENT WILL TRY NEW TAX DEMANDS AFTER PENSIONER DEBACLE was last modified: January 11th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Michael CollThe Tax Clinic
The man who bought one of Donegal’s best-known hotels for just €650,000 is to appear on RTE’s Saturday Night Show tonight to reveal how he did it.Paul Diver, of The Sandhouse Hotel in Rossnowlagh, will tell presenter Brendan O’Connor about the weeks leading up to his purchase.He will also reveal his plans for the famous hotel as will as his pride in saving 55 jobs locally. The hotel has been inundated with bookings since his purchase – with even a wedding booked there on the back of the coverage. DONEGAL HOTEL OWNER TO TELL ALL TO RTE’S SATURDAY NIGHT SHOW was last modified: March 10th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Paul DiverRTESANDHOUSE HOTELSaturday NIght Show