Blatter against age limits for officials

first_imgFifa president Sepp Blatter is against age restrictions for officials in soccer’s governing body although he would be prepared to accept a limit on the length of time they can hold office, he said on Wednesday.The 76-year-old Swiss said he was also opposed to standing areas in soccer stadiums, placing him on a collision course with both the Bundesliga and the national league in his homeland.“I’m in favour of limiting the length of time officials can serve but against an age limit,” he told Germany’s Sport Bild magazine.“Capabilites have nothing to do with age. There are 70-year-olds who are young in the head. But a mandate limit could have a chance.”A draft revision of Fifa’s statutes includes a proposal to impose an age limit of 72 on officials at the time they are elected. It would also limit the Fifa president to two four-year mandates and the executive committee members to three four-year mandates.The proposal is due to be discussed at Fifa’s annual Congress in Mauritius next year. Paraguay’s Nicolas Leoz is the oldest member of Fifa’s executive committee at 83, while senior vice-president Julio Grondona, 80, has been on the committee since 1988.Blatter is in his fourth term as Fifa president, though he has repeated that he does not intend to stand again at the next election in 2015.Blatter said he remained unconvinced by the popularity of standing areas in Germany’s Bundesliga.“We preach to the whole world to do away with standing places,” he said. “In Colombia, the stadiums were rebuilt because of the world under-20 championship, now families can go to matches, it is going really well.“Everyone sits down and that is good, it’s good for the safety.” “The Bundesliga is the only big league in Europe which still has standing places.”The Swiss Super League also permits standing-room and earlier this year, Fifa backed down from partially funding a new stadium in its home city of Zurich because plans included a small area of terracing.last_img read more

A Spring field update

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest As planting enters the latter stages across Ohio, farmers now turn their attention to pest and disease issues. As Beck’s Hybrids Alex Johnson tells The Ohio Ag Net’s Ty Higgins, cutworms may be coming to Ohio corn fields, along with bean-leaf beetles in young soybean fields and head scab in wheat.last_img

Privacy Paranoia Fuels False News Reports

first_imgTags:#privacy#web Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… The privacy freakout sparked by hacker group AntiSec’s leak of Apple user identification numbers last week turned out to be unwarranted. But the Anonymous offshoot taught us some things about the culture of paranoia that has become a feature of our digital lives.The group claimed that it had pilfered millions of iPhone/iPad user IDs from an FBI laptop. As it turns out, the database came from a digital publishing and development firm called BlueToad. The company ran tests internally based on a tip from an outside security researcher and confirmed that the data did indeed come from its own servers.Sure, the information may have ended up in the hands of the FBI before it was leaked by AntiSec, but it’s not likely. Moreover, the FBI and Apple have denied it. With yesterday’s BlueToad revelation, there remains little credible evidence to support the claim of FBI involvement.  Regardless of the hackers’ motives, the case illustrates something about the online news ecosystem. All AntiSec had to do was claim that it obtained the data from an FBI laptop and, before long, the narrative became “OMG, the FBI is spying on our iPads and iPhones.” It doesn’t help that reporting on and fact-checking Anonymous is problematic, due to the organization’s evenescent structure and spoofish culture. Things got clearer as time passed – though the story is still unfolding – but not before legions of readers gained a false impression that the FBI was up to something truly creepy.  We saw a similar hole in the online news cycle a few weeks back when a hoax about an asymmetric screw Apple was said to be developing turned into headline news. Like that story, the report that the FBI had collected million of UDIDs was plausible given recent headlines about government requests for data from mobile service providers and Internet companies. A new round of domestic spying by a U.S. intelligence agency fit into an existing historical narrative. The whole thing played into a growing paranoia about digital privacy. This fear seems to be an inevitable byproduct of online life. As more and more of our lives are lived in digital spaces, we are entrusting a massive amount of personal information to tech companies, which in turn each have different privacy policies and approaches to dealing with government requests. Just this year, we’ve seen Twitter spar with authorities over user data requests, mobile carriers hand over troves of information, and the U.S. government trying to address concerns over the tracking Web users. While some of the skittishness around privacy is overblown, plenty of legitimate issues are raised by technology that’s evolving faster than laws and social norms can.    While the hyper-rapid online news cycle allows for false or unconfirmed facts to turn into headlines, it’s worth noting that the Web is also remarkably good at self-correction. Often, it brings itself back into line more quickly than the old, top-down media system could. In this case, a more realistic picture of what happened emerged within a few days, thanks in large part to diligent homework by security researcher David Shuetz and an honest admission by BlueToad’s CEO on the company blog. Perhaps in the coming days, we’ll get a complete picture of what on Earth really happened last week. But the paranoia over privacy will remain. Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketcenter_img Related Posts john paul titlow A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…last_img read more

Finally, Maharashtra declares drought in 151 tehsils

first_imgThe Maharashtra government on Wednesday announced severe and medium-scale drought in 151 tehsils in 26 districts. The announcement will hold for the next six months.Out of the 151 tehsils, 39 come under the ‘medium-scale’ category while 112 are ‘severe drought’ areas.Under the Centre’s drought manual of 2016, the State had to follow three steps before declaring a drought.The government identified over 200 tehsils from 13 districts that received rainfall between 50% and 75% and prescribed the first trigger or step, to identify whether drought can be declared in these locations. By the end of the second step, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had declared 180 tehsils as drought-prone. A ground truthing [inspection] exercise was held thereafter and the report was submitted to the CM’s office. The Opposition Congress on Tuesday had charged the government for delaying the announcement.The State has been facing water scarcity in October, with the next monsoon still nine months away. Total water storage as on October 31 in all dams of the State stands at 59.46% in comparison to 76.14% last year. The number of tankers deployed across the State too has increased from 74 on October 30, 2017 to 489 on October 29, 2018.The government has already asked District Collectors to not collect land revenue from farmers, implement a 33% subsidy on the electricity bill of agriculture pumps, kick start employment guarantee scheme, and exempt school and college fees for students from these tehsils. Farmers will get financial help ande government is likely to credit ₹6,800 per hectare to farmers with non-irrigated farms and ₹13,000 per hectare to those with irrigated farms.last_img read more

NBA fires Turkish company that left Enes Kanter off a tweet

first_imgPortland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard, let, congratulates center Enes Kanter who reacts after hanging from the rim after putting the ball in for a basket against the Denver Nuggets in the first half of Game 1 of an NBA basketball second-round playoff series Monday, April 29, 2019, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)The NBA reacted in support of Portland’s Enes Kanter on Thursday, not long after the league’s Turkish-centric Twitter account failed to mention Kanter’s efforts in the Trail Blazers’ victory over Denver in Game 2 of the teams’ Western Conference semifinal series.The league also fired the Turkish company in charge of operating that account.ADVERTISEMENT Joel Embiid, 76ers pull ahead 2-1 after rout of Raptors Kanter has previously said that he will seek a U.S. passport; his Turkish one was canceled in 2017. Citing security concerns and a fear of being arrested, Kanter chose to miss two games outside of the U.S. so far in 2019 — when he was with the New York Knicks he did not accompany them for a game in London in January, and he didn’t travel with Portland for a game in Toronto on March 1.His reluctance to leave the U.S. coincides with Turkish officials seeking a “red notice” through Interpol and pursuing Kanter’s arrest since January, alleging that he backed exiled Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen and provided financial support to his group. Gulen has been blamed for a failed coup on the Erdogan government in 2016; Kanter has dismissed that as a “fake coup” staged by Erdogan.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue View comments Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting LATEST STORIES Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated Kanter — who has been estranged from Turkey, his homeland, for at least two years and is a longtime critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan — had 15 points and nine rebounds in Portland’s 97-90 victory Wednesday night. After the game, the NBA tweeted out a list of stat leaders and included Kanter; the Turkish account, @NBATurkiye, made no mention of Kanter.It’s the latest twist in a long saga, one where the Turkish government has sought Kanter’s arrest and he has claimed, among other things, that the government censors him and forbids the airing of Portland games in the country. The NBA said Turkish fans can still see all games through its various platforms.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“Fans in Turkey can watch all playoff games featuring Enes Kanter and the Portland Trail Blazers on NBA League Pass and NBA TV International,” NBA Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer Mark Tatum said. “The NBA Turkey Twitter account was managed by a local vendor and we are terminating that relationship.”The National Basketball Players Association also put out a statement in support of Kanter on Thursday, saying it “fully supports our players using their platforms to stand up for their beliefs and the principles they support. We stand with Enes and, as with all of our players, will work to ensure that he is treated fairly and with respect.” SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid MOST READ DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassleslast_img read more

10 months agoLeicester boss Puel to bench Vardy for Man City Cup clash

first_imgAbout the authorChris BeattieShare the loveHave your say Leicester boss Puel to bench Vardy for Man City Cup clashby Chris Beattie10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLeicester City boss Claude Puel is set to omit Jamie Vardy from his line-up for their Carabao Cup quarterfinal tie with Mannchester City.Puel is planning to prioritise Saturday’s Premier League match at Chelsea by making a number of changes to his line-up on Tuesday, including starting Vardy on the bench, even though Leicester are three games from Wembley.Vardy, Leicester’s joint-top scorer with five Premier League goals, has been managing a groin problem but returned to fitness for Saturday’s match at Crystal Palace where he played the full 90 minutes against expectations, says the Daily Mail. Puel has been advised Vardy requires some recuperation and has decided to provide it for the visit of City. last_img read more

Bopanna Shapovalov advance to Montreal Masters semifinal

first_imgMontreal: India’s Rohan Bopanna and his partner Denis Shapovalov progressed to the semi-final of the men’s doubles event at the ATP Montreal Masters here after receiving walkover from their opponents. The Indo-Canadian got a walkover in their quarterfinal clash against France’s Benoit Paire and Swiss Stan Wawrinka. Bopanna and Shapovalov will now face the Dutch duo of Robin Haase and Wesley Koolhof in the semifinal. The unseeded duo of Bopanna and Shapovalov had knocked out the fourth seed French pair of Nichola Mahut and Edouard Roger-Vasselin before defeating Kyle Edmund and Taylor Fritz in straight sets in the round of 16.last_img read more

Ukraine court releases suspect pending trial

first_imgKiev: A court in Ukraine on Thursday released from pre-trial detention a man suspected of involvement in the downing of flight MH17, amid speculation he might be used in a prisoner swap with Russia.Ukraine captured Vladimir Tsemakh, accused of fighting for pro-Russian separatists, in June, but he is believed to be a person of interest in the downing of MH17. European lawmakers described him as a “key suspect” and asked Kiev to make him available for testimony in the probe. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USAn AFP journalist saw Tsemakh being released after appellate court judge Yury Sliva in Kiev ruled to release him, cautioning him to remain available for questioning and not attempt to flee. Tsemakh is a Ukrainian who is believed to have been in charge of an air defence unit in the forces of the separatist Donetsk People’s Republic near Snizhne in eastern Ukraine. This is where Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 came down in 2014, killing 298 people, most of them Dutch citizens.Though his involvement in MH17 has never been confirmed by Ukraine, 40 European lawmakers on Wednesday asked President Volodymyr Zelensky to make sure he is available to be questioned by the Dutch-led Joint Investigation Team. Russian and Ukrainian media have reported that Moscow is demanding that Tsemakh be handed over to Russia as part of an expected prisoner swap between two countries.last_img read more

Horizons launches Canadas first ETF driven by artificial intelligence

first_imgTORONTO – Horizons ETFs Management Inc. says it has launched the first exchange-traded fund in Canada to use artificial intelligence for all security selection decisions.The Horizons Active A.I. Global Equity ETF began trading today on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol MIND.The ETF, sub-advised by Mirae Asset Global Investments, uses an investment strategy run by an AI system that analyzes data and extracts patterns.Horizons ETFs president Steve Hawkins says MIND is expected to process market data and allocate assets more efficiently than any human manager.MIND monitors more than 50 investment metrics from which it analyzes patterns and makes investment decisions.South Korean-based Qraft Technologies Inc., a manufacturer of AI investment systems, created the technology powering MIND.last_img read more

Corus stock hits lowest in nearly 2 years after Q1 TV ad

first_imgTORONTO – Corus Entertainment Inc. shares sank to their lowest level in nearly two years on Wednesday after the media company said its first-quarter results fell short of expectations as some of its TV advertisers adjusted their spending priorities.Corus shares closed down 17 per cent at $9.17 apiece on Wednesday after it reported a first-quarter profit attributable to shareholders of $77.7 million, or 38 cents per diluted share for the quarter ended Nov. 30, up from $71.1 million or 36 cents per share a year ago.However, on an adjusted basis, Corus says it earned a profit attributable to shareholders of $78.9 million or 38 cents per share for the quarter, down from an adjusted profit of $80.8 million or 41 cents per share a year ago. That fell short of both its own expectations as well as those of analysts.Revenue at the television and radio media company totalled $457.4 million, down 22 per cent from the quarter a year ago.“The advertising industry continues to reassess and recalibrate as marketers evolve their media modelling strategies to optimize the mix of TV, radio and digital media elements,” Corus CEO Doug Murphy told analysts.He said longer-term TV advertising bookings were on a good pace leading into the fall programming season and appeared headed for modest growth.“However, as the quarter progressed, we saw a shift towards shorter-term buys. … as we approached the end of the calendar year it also became apparent that certain advertising commitments would not be fulfilled as forecast.”He said the weakness in TV advertising more than offset gains in other parts of the Corus business, which also includes one of Canada’s largest private-sector radio operations and the Nelvana animation and publishing business.At least one major securities dealer lowered its price target for Corus shares, saying it’s taking a more cautious view of the stock unless the company demonstrates that it can strengthen TV advertising revenue or find other sources.“While we believe management is taking the appropriate strategic and tactical initiatives in a changing television industry, a major forecast recalibration and limited visibility leave us on the sidelines,” wrote Drew McReynolds, who covers Canadian telecom and media companies for RBC Dominion Securities.RBC Dominion lowered its price target for Corus by $2 or 17 per cent to $10. The stock hasn’t closed below $10 since February 2016.Murphy said Corus is actively pursuing several initiatives to change the way it does business with advertisers but it needs to do so with partners such as advertising agencies and cable companies.“We can’t just snap our fingers and have the complete rollout done. That’s where I think we all need to be somewhat patient,” Murphy said.The Toronto-based company (TSX:CJR.B) said its monthly dividend will remain at about 9.5 cents per share, where it has been since February 2015, and executives told analysts they’d continue to control costs.Murphy told analysts that Corus is prepared to make certain capital investments, such as technology that identifies more specific audience segments and markets them to advertising agencies.“We plan to introduce beta trials with the five major (advertising) agencies this year.”last_img read more