Two men struck by a car outside Birmingham mosque

Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Two men have been injured after they were hit by a car outside a mosque.West Midlands Police said they have not ruled out the potential that the incident on Ettington Road in Aston, Birmingham, could be terror-related.The men, who are both in their twenties, were struck at 2.15pm on Friday and officers were called after reports that both had been hurt.One victim was said to have suffered a head injury and the other has been described as walking wounded, the force said.Police are trying to trace the identity of the person driving the car, which is believed to be silver.Detective Inspector Greg Evans, of the force’s CID, said: “The investigation is at an early stage and we’re still trying to establish exactly what has happened. “At this time we have not ruled in or out the potential that this could be terror-related but we’re keeping an open mind until we have investigated further.”I’d really like to hear from anyone who has any information or CCTV of the incident or who may have dash cam footage.”Local people said two men were left covered in blood after the incident, with one victim being knocked on to the bonnet of a parked car, which police have since covered with a blue forensic tent. Police at the scene in Ettington Road in Aston Police at the scene in Ettington Road in AstonCredit:Matthew Cooper/PA A worshipper who was attending prayers at the mosque, who declined to give his name, said: “It was shocking to see the guys afterwards.”It was like something out of a movie and it was really, really shocking.”Community activist Desmond Jaddoo urged local people not to speculate about the motive for the incident, amid rumours that it may be linked to a dispute between groups of youths.Mr Jaddoo told the Press Association: “It’s concerning what’s happened today. Two young men have been injured quite badly and it’s caused a lot of tension within the local community at present.”Clearly there is a need for calm.”The police need to be allowed to conduct their investigations and personally I would urge anyone who knows anything about what has happened to contact the police.” read more

Taoiseach Nobody has to pay the 2014 property charge in 2013

first_imgTAOISEACH ENDA KENNY has insisted that no one has to pay the 2014 property tax until next year as the controversy around payment options for the charge continues.Both Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin raised the matter at Leaders’ Questions today with Micheál Martin calling for an amendment to the property tax legislation to ensure no one has to make the payment until next year.“The policy is wrong because the legislation was rushed,” Martin told the Taoiseach.Responding, Enda Kenny insisted: “There is no legal obligation for anyone to pay any property charge for 2014 in the remaining weeks of this year”.He said that the Minister for Finance has made it clear that the preference for government is that it receive payments for 2014 in 2014 and said that a number of options for paying the tax have been set out by Revenue.Kenny said that letters from Revenue that have been delivered in recent weeks refer to the filing date this year – 7 November for postal returns and 27 November for online – and do not have a statutory basis.He said they are just a reminder to people that the 2014 property tax is due next year.He said the filing date is not a statutory date for payment and said that there are seven different options for paying the property tax next year.“There was no intention of executing some sort of government money grab before the end of 2013, Kenny told Adams in response to the Sinn Féin leader’s questions about the controversy.Tánaiste on property tax: It’s important the taxpayer is facilitatedOpen thread: What do you want to know about paying the local property tax?Read: Revenue promises more staff to deal with property tax issues after Noonan meetinglast_img read more